• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Condensation polymerisation !!

Reaction score
Can someone explain me about Condensation polymerisation with an example? I want to know about the removal of H2O and H during the reaction :bad:

Reaction score
in a condensation polymerisation usually two unrelated or different monomers react together and join . during the reaction a molecule of water is often lost ........... condensation polymeristaion reaction takes place in polyamides and polyesters like this .. it is a protein structure formed from an acid and amine group with the elimination of water

HOPE I HELPED .......... GOOD LUCK FOR UR EXAMS :good: :good: :good: :good:

Reaction score
But in the past papers i saw that h20 is eliminated from the middle and OH or H is eliminated from the end of both monomers :unknown: :%) :shock: :x

Reaction score
bro comeon that doesnt makes the difference ....... condensation polymerisation says elimintaion of water ... there is no such formula or theory that H is to be eliminated from the middle or bottom ........... hope u understood :)

Reaction score
H and OH are eliminated from the ends, as it shows continuation, if required.. Basically, if you take the equation for a Polyester..

<> = Main part..

HO-<>-OH + COOH-<>-COOH = HO-<>-COO-<>-COOH

Thats for a fixed one.. If you have to show continuation, you eliminate the same thing from both ends..

So, eliminating H from the first one to make a point:

It would now be: -O-<>-OCO-<>-CO-

If you get what I mean, if not, I will happily draw it out.

Basically. Condensation polymerisation is the addition of two monomers to create two products rather than one. The products are always a polymer, and water.