• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Contradicting markschemes?

Reaction score
Yesterday I checked the marking scheme for the May 2014 physics 22 paper and it has got me shit scared. Many statements now use underlined keywords. I have been using newton's first law as "An object stays at rest or continues with constant velocity unless acted on by an external force."

This is what the book says and what my teacher made us write down in class. But in this exam, 'external' has been replaced by 'resultant' and was underlined which if my guess is right means is a crucial key word for gaining credit and no other word will suffice. How many more of these kind of changes are there and how do I know if I have covered them all?

I've spent the last year and a half preparing for this session and I really don't want to lose marks because of stupid keywords even though my statement is correct.

Did not appear in May session due to a fractured back and the last thing I need is wasting the October session.

Reaction score
Usually the underlined word means you must have that written in your answer. But in this case, I'm not so sure. Although i dont know where you've read the use of external force. I've always used resultant, because that makes much more sense here.

Reaction score
Usually the underlined word means you must have that written in your answer. But in this case, I'm not so sure. Although i dont know where you've read the use of external force. I've always used resultant, because that makes much more sense here.
IMG0333B.jpg IMG0334B.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, the coursebook. Well, I guess if its in there then it could be accepted. Because the Coursebook is endorsed by Cambridge
But, you know eventhough external is a term that can be used, its a bit vague. I mean resultant is the best term that can be applied. External force may or may not result in a resultant force and you need the absence of a resultant force in order to satisfy Newton's first law.
I'm not an authority to say this, but maybe they would give you the benefit of doubt here. Or even give you full marks since its clearly mentioned in the book.

Last edited:
Reaction score
W
Oh, the coursebook. Well, I guess if its in there then it could be accepted. Because the Coursebook is endorsed by Cambridge
But, you know eventhough external is a term that can be used, its a bit vague. I mean resultant is the best term that can be applied. External force may or may not result in a resultant force and you need the absence of a resultant force in order to satisfy Newton's first law.
I'm not an authority to say this, but maybe they would give you the benefit of doubt here. Or even give you full marks since its clearly mentioned in the book.

Which book do you use?

Reaction score
External and resultant are 2 diff words i guess...depends on the question though...but i must say CIE and their mysterious checking methods.
n as far as i know...both are probably acceptable by em :/

Reaction score
W

Which book do you use?

Used* I've done my Alevels :) Completed it this year. And I had an A* in Physics Alhamdulillah. But honestly, i never fretted over little details like these. You shouldnt too. The marking scheme isnt the final word. The examiner reads your answers and then judges your understanding of the question.
And the books, i used... please visit my blog for that :)

http://subtlygold.blogspot.com/2014/09/alevel-guide-how-to-smash-your-alevels.html

Reaction score
Used* I've done my Alevels :) Completed it this year. And I had an A* in Physics Alhamdulillah. But honestly, i never fretted over little details like these. You shouldnt too. The marking scheme isnt the final word. The examiner reads your answers and then judges your understanding of the question.
And the books, i used... please visit my blog for that :)

http://subtlygold.blogspot.com/2014/09/alevel-guide-how-to-smash-your-alevels.html

How did you study for physics? I am currently doing AS physics and find it hard to understand...any tips on how much you gave time to physics and how you studied?

Reaction score
How did you study for physics? I am currently doing AS physics and find it hard to understand...any tips on how much you gave time to physics and how you studied?

AS Physics is harder than A2 Physics In my opinion. You just need to get you concepts cleared for every chapter and solve every possible past paper question you can. There is no shortcut to studying Physics. You need practice. Learning isn't enough. And I did my AS two years ago, so my memory is kind of foggy about how much I studied lol. But I'm not a very hardworking student, so you shouldnt need my dvice anyway xD Just revise everything you study at school at your home.