• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Dangers of Watching Movies - Abu Ibraheem Husnayn

Reaction score
Walaikum salam warahmathullah
Thank you for giving your opinion on this aspect of Islam. Coming to whether movies is evil or not, well... some movies may not be evil, for example: Akeelah and the Bee. The plot of this movie may not necessarily be evil, but the way the actors and actresses portray themselves may not be Islamic. Other movies may not seem to be evil, but when closely examined, it may be horrible than thought to be. And first of all, it's completely prohibited for men to look at women, whether their intention is good or bad, but in the case of women, this is an issue of dispute, but women can avoid watching movies, and this is better for them. The scenes that you mentioned above can not only be obtained from the life of the Prophet, but even better teachings can be taken from it. Reading the books on the lives of the various companions are beneficial for us in this world, and is also an act that will help us attain reward in the Hereafter. Just because a movie may have inspirational scenes for the youth doesn't mean it's a good movie. There are other aspects which will have to be taken into consideration. Music is another issue. Every scene in every movie has a music track played along with it, and tell me, can a movie be watched while muting the parts that have music? No. It's better off not watching it. I know it may be hard to watch movies. I personally, used to watch movies, ie; just the kids' ones, like home alone. But after getting to know the amount of sins we attain by watching movies, I feel it's better not to watch any movie. It was a little hard at first, but InshaAllah, Allah will help us. And who'd like to enjoy some of the temporary pleasures of this world and suffer eternally? This world is a test for all of us. And as the beloved Prophet said, this world is a prison for the true believer, and is paradise for the disbelievers.
I hope you've been benefited by what I said.
May Allah Guide us all, and may he save us from the punishments of the Hereafter. Ameen...
You do have valid points here but not all movies play rap, metal, rock or pop songs during the movie. An example can be of The Hunger Games:
I love this score because I can literally see the film playing out in my mind as I listen to it from beginning to end. James Newton Howard has done it again! He has composed a very unique and brilliant score that stirs emotion from within. There are some pieces of music that I noticed that were in the film, but not in this score, but it is still a winner if you are a JNH fan!
The score opens with a very simple, yet captivating theme with a simple arrangement. As you move through the tracks, you are taken on the same journey (even if abbreviated) as Katniss.
It is hard to pick favorites from this score because all the tracks are unique.
1. The Hunger Games has that haunting melody that you can never forget.
2. Katniss Afoot has renaissance/medieval feel to it but still fits the scene in the film, which I think is brilliant!
6. Preparing the Chariots, and 7. Horn of Plenty captures the whole tribute chariot ceremony sequence at the capitol, playing the anthem of Panem (composed by Arcade Fire, track orchestrated by JNH). The music is exciting and driving.
8. Penthouse/Training is another track that draws you into the film. The calm melody that plays during the first half is another beautiful piece, playing when Katniss sees the projection of the forest in her room. Then the track transitions into the training section, which totally switches the mood. I really like how there is this whole ethnic feel mixed into the instrumentation to some of these tracks.
9. Learning The Skills is another track that has a more modern/action-oriented feel to it.
10. Countdown is listed as not being in the film. It's interesting. I can hear this being played during the whole countdown sequence, but I'm sure it was left out because the sequence itself is more powerful where the music is omitted. I'm a little disappointed that the little piece of music that plays when the games first begin is not in this score.
12. Healing Katniss is another that takes you into the whole sequence from the film. It's calm but moving at the same time.

There is no doubt that the most powerful track in the score is 13. Rue's Farewell, which stirs up just as much emotion as that whole sequence does in the film itself. It is just simply brilliantly written. Another action piece is 17. Muttations. Lots of drums pounding and driving, and a little bit of electric guitar for when Cato fights Peeta and Katniss on the Horn.

It doesn't ever evolve enough to capture a real theme for the "Hunger Games," though, if he continues to compose for the series, it's almost certain that he will reuse some of the melodies in this soundtrack and shape them into more complex themes later on. But for now, we are only given a taste of what those themes might grow into. The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic North America, with District 12 serving as the poor, starving Appalachian starting point of the story, which then changes scenery to the ultra-modern Capitol, which then reverts back to the more organic game setting of a forest for the Games themselves, albeit with a twist of technology thrown in. Most of the score is devoted to the Appalachia feel of District 12, with a blue grass overtone that includes a prominent use of a guitar and fiddle. The three tracks that devote the most thematically to the Capitol theme are "Entering the Capitol" which has a moment of ethnic sound to it before changing into an electronic one; "Preparing the Chariots" which is just a prelude to "Horn of Plenty" which the Canadian alternative band The Arcade Fire composed (JNH orchestrated). "Penthouse/Training", "Learning the Skills", and "Muttations" all have the most action-oriented sound to them, which mostly consists of a quiet, new age sound with percussion to drive the story forward. Keep in mind that while the blue grass/new age combination may at first sound strange, it suits the film, since it's futuristic, but takes place primarily in a natural setting. The film generally relies on silence most of the time to make it seem more realistic from Katnisss's perspective, but when JNH's score is allowed to work its way into the film, it does an apt job at hitting the right notes and contributing to the story and the film as a whole.

Not once is their singing of evil songs of any sorts or during the movie except for Deep in the Meadow but that is a lullaby sung by Katniss to her younger sister to make her feel safe and is sung again when Rue is dying and she asks if Katniss could sing for her before she passes away.

The lyrics are as followed:

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Badadadada...

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Reaction score
Thank you for giving your opinion on this aspect of Islam. Coming to whether movies is evil or not, well... some movies may not be evil, for example: Akeelah and the Bee. The plot of this movie may not necessarily be evil, but the way the actors and actresses portray themselves may not be Islamic. Other movies may not seem to be evil, but when closely examined, it may be horrible than thought to be. And first of all, it's completely prohibited for men to look at women, whether their intention is good or bad, but in the case of women, this is an issue of dispute, but women can avoid watching movies, and this is better for them. The scenes that you mentioned above can not only be obtained from the life of the Prophet, but even better teachings can be taken from it. Reading the books on the lives of the various companions are beneficial for us in this world, and is also an act that will help us attain reward in the Hereafter. Just because a movie may have inspirational scenes for the youth doesn't mean it's a good movie. There are other aspects which will have to be taken into consideration. Music is another issue. Every scene in every movie has a music track played along with it, and tell me, can a movie be watched while muting the parts that have music? No. It's better off not watching it. I know it may be hard to watch movies. I personally, used to watch movies, ie; just the kids' ones, like home alone. But after getting to know the amount of sins we attain by watching movies, I feel it's better not to watch any movie. It was a little hard at first, but InshaAllah, Allah will help us. And who'd like to enjoy some of the temporary pleasures of this world and suffer eternally? This world is a test for all of us. And as the beloved Prophet said, this world is a prison for the true believer, and is paradise for the disbelievers.
May Allah Guide us all, and may he save us from the punishments of the Hereafter. Ameen...
You can even listen on to the first seven of the soundtrack and tell me if that is evil or not:

Attachments

• 01 The Hunger Games.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 02 Katniss Afoot.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 03 Reaping Day.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 04 The Train.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 05 Entering The Capitol.mp3
    5.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 06 Preparing The Chariots.mp3
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 07 Horn Of Plenty.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Reaction score
I would also love if you gave some big examples on certain movies you find that are evil and hope for a positive reply from a fellow Muslim sister.

Reaction score
Here is the link for the entire soundtrack since uploading the rest seems to be producing errors.
http://mikkisays.net/2012/03/29/score-james-newton-howard-the-hunger-games-ost-2012-mp3-320-kbps/

Reaction score
Sorry, accidentally posted without completing message :D. Anyway this is a review i find perfectly does this film justice.

Asghar Farhadi's new film after the ingenious 'About Elly' is running for the Golden Bear at this year's Berlin Film Festival and, with half of the competition done and the rest of the program not looking too promising, appears to be an almost inevitable winner. Although maybe it won't for that very reason: Jahar Panahi's repeat inability to attend his jury duties because of Iran's government refusal to issue him a travel permit, a retrospective of his works including the 2006 Silver Bear-winning 'Offside', a variety of other Iranian productions and renewed demonstrations in Iran proper put the spotlight firmly on that country's elaborate, yet constrained film industry. All that buzz may outshine the film's artistic value, and prompt the jury to go for a less favored competitor. I should hope not, for Farhadi manages once again to embed lots of social criticism into a straight-laced, realistic narrative.

As in 'About Elly', the story begins rather unassumingly and takes an abrupt turn into a spiral of increasingly dramatic events: Nader and Simin are a couple about to break up over the question of moving abroad, for which they have obtained a permit after waiting for 18 months. Nader, however, has his father to take care of, who is suffering from Alzheimer's. Sirin still wants to leave, but not without her daughter (yes, pun intended) Termeh, a somewhat shy, bespectacled 11-year-old who cannot accept her parents' break-up. She therefore decides to stay with her father, which prompts Simin not to leave the country, but move to her mother. Nader is thereby forced to hire someone to take care of his dad, and a colleague of Sirin recommends the pregnant Razieh. Being deeply religious, she should not work in a single man's household, but her husband has been out of a job for a long time and is threatened with jail by his creditors. Her pregnancy and the necessity to attend to her daughter additionally stress her out. When Nader comes home one day to find his father left alone and tied to his bed, a struggle with the returning Razieh ensues, with catastrophic consequences for everyone around...

This is a much more complicated set-up than in 'About Elly', but it allows Farhadi to put a lot of additional information into his film as may be obvious to those who are just trying to follow the story (I hesitate to give examples because the film is as of yet to be released in Iran, which means an open-source comment such as this one needs to be carefully phrased). Much of the action takes place in courtrooms, where judges try to negotiate between the parties without any lawyers present. There's a lot of familiarity, and also a lot of menace, which succeeds to create the same climate of anxiety, accusation and deceit as in 'About Elly'. The realism of the narrative is embedded into a carefully planned scenography which makes almost every shot linger in the memory. And as in 'About Elly' the decisive moment, the one that solves the mystery is omitted in the picture, only to be explained verbally at the very end.

What makes me feel even more for this film is the fact that it might be the last film of its kind from Iran for some time. Ali Samadi Ahadi, the German-Iranian director of the comedy 'Salami Aleikum' and the upcoming documentary on the July 2009 protests 'The Green Wave', wrote that the film industry has come to a virtual standstill. 'Nader and Simin' was in development at the time of the protests; since then, regulations have become far more repressive, with even established masters like Kiarostami or Makhmalbaf forced to work abroad, and others threatened with jail and work prohibitions, of whom Panahi is only the most famous example. All the more reason to give this film the credit it deserves - winning Berlin may cause Iran's bureaucrats to reconsider, for cinema is almost the last link remaining to our world. Without film, how could we understand that Iranians are a modern people with issues like our own, and not dangerous fanatics as some media and politicians would have us believe?
Also, the last paragraph in the review shows how movies bring together different cultures and puts Iran in the positive light. How can such a thing be considered evil?

Reaction score
ZaMiN RaZa look, bro. Music is evil whether it sounds evil or not, and it is completely prohibited in Islam. And no, I won't listen to those soundtracks and attain sins ever, let alone during this blessed month of Ramadhan. My duty here is to convey the true teachings of Islam to the best of my ability. After that it is none of my business. Whether you accept it or not is your issue and you have to come up with a way to prove to your Lord that 'modern day' movies are acceptable, not me.
If you're still not convinced about music, watch this video:

Reaction score
Also, the last paragraph in the review shows how movies bring together different cultures and puts Iran in the positive light. How can such a thing be considered evil?

This aspect of movies uniting people may not be evil in and of itself. Although the outcome is good, the means is not. And if the means is not good, the outcome is not acceptable, even if it may be good.

Reaction score
This aspect of movies uniting people may not be evil in and of itself. Although the outcome is good, the means is not. And if the means is not good, the outcome is not acceptable, even if it may be good.
How is the means of this movie evil? Or most of them? Explain with BIG and multiple examples of movies that YOU think have evil intentions.

Reaction score
How is the means of this movie evil? Or most of them? Explain with BIG and multiple examples of movies that YOU think have evil intentions.

Watch the video I posted and you will know
btw, when I say 'means', I mean the movie itself is not good. Islam doesn't mention attaining good teachings from movies.

Reaction score
Watch the video I posted and you will know
btw, when I say 'means', I mean the movie itself is not good. Islam doesn't mention attaining good teachings from movies.
I would watch it but i live in Pakistan and you know what happened. I am trying but these days my spotflux is not working at the moment or for five days. Can you sum up the video in bulletin form for me, if thats not much trouble i would be very grateful to you?

Reaction score
I would watch it but i live in Pakistan and you know what happened. I am trying but these days my spotflux is not working at the moment or for five days. Can you sum up the video in bulletin form for me, if thats not much trouble i would be very grateful to you?

I'm sorry but I won't be able to do that. You can download the mp3 format from this site:
http://www.freemp3go.com/dangers-of-watching-movies-abu-ibraheem-husnayn-mp3/
if not, I'll find another way inshaAllah.