• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Deformation of solids - springs

Reaction score
I don't have any question from the past year though. But i am always confused with it, the extension of spring part.

a) If 3 springs are connected in a parallel, what is to total extension and the individual extension?

SHO_Parallel.gif
*ignore the picture, I just want to make sure parallel is something like this.

b) If 3 springs are connected in series, what is to total extension and the individual extension?

c) If 2 springs are connected in parallel and 2 connected in series, what is to total extension and the individual extension?

It will be great if there is anyone willing to share downloadable notes on spring.

Reaction score
dude...just remember some simple tips...
1. if two similar springs are connected in series.( one spring connected to the end of other)...then the total extension is the sum of individual extension...and the total spring constant( 1/Totak K= 1/K1 +1/K2)
2.if two similar springs are connected in parallel(as in ur fig) the the total extension( 1/total extension = 1/ e1 + 1/e2) and the total spring constant is the sum of individual spring constants.

the case is similar for more than two springs..
hope this helped.

Reaction score
for spring in series --
force= constant
extension=divides x is extension

ie x total= x1+x2+x3 if u have 3 springs in series

so 1/k of system= 1/k1 +1/k2 +1/k3

in parallel--
force=divides ie Ftotal = F1+F2+F3
extension= constant
k of system= k1+k2+k3

use this rule always and ull get an answer to these!!hope u get it!