• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

derivative.......

Reaction score
I guess u mean to ask "differentiate [ln(x)]^[sin(x)]....?" ain't it
or do u mean "differentiate ln[(x)^sin(x)]....?"
or sth else...???

Reaction score
Not sure if the power rule can be used in this case since the power is a function and not a constant...

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
hassam said:
wats the derivative of lnx^sinx....?
By Log rule:
We have lnx^sinx = sinx.lnx
Now simple as hell :D
Derivative = sin(x).(1/x) + ln(x).cos(x)

Reaction score
nibz was close
after the log rule u must diffrentiate using the product rule not just cos(X).(1/x)

Reaction score
In the above case, u all hav assumed that the question was to differentiate "ln[(x)^sin(x)]." Bt what if the question was to find the derivative of "[ln(x)]^[sin(x)]." In dat case, we could employ logarithmic differentiation of the form y = f(x)^g(x) ---> ln(y) = ln[f(x)^g(x)] = g(x)*ln[f(x)]
Then differentiating w.r.t. x -----------> y'/y = g'(x)*ln[f(x)] + g(x)*[f'(x)/f(x)] (using product rule)
Rearranging ---------------------------> y' = y*[g'(x)*ln[f(x)] + g(x)*[f'(x)/f(x)]]
Now put f(x) = ln(x) with g(x) = sin(x) and let y = f(x)^g(x) = [ln(x)]^[sin(x)]
------> y' = y*[g'(x)*ln[f(x)] + g(x)*[f'(x)/f(x)]]
= [ln(x)]^[sin(x)]*[cos(x)*ln(ln(x)) + sin(x)/[x*ln(x)]]
= [[ln(x)]^[sin(x) - 1]/x]*[x*ln(x)*cos(x)*ln(ln(x)) + sin(x)]

Reaction score
we all assumed that way cause its in our syllabus,wheras the other way isnt.
usman wat syllabus are u studying cause in a lot of other threads questions outside the syllabus where asked an u could anser all?

Reaction score
yar actually, m essentially studying the same syllabus as yours (i.e. CIE,& i guess most probably, dat's wt u r studying 2 :p) :!: 2 b precise, m in AS level n studying Phy(9072), Chem(9701), Maths(9709) and Further Maths(9231), and will b havin AS xmx in the cming May/June session

Reaction score
usman said:
yar actually, m essentially studying the same syllabus as yours (i.e. CIE,& i guess most probably, dat's wt u r studying 2 :p) :!: 2 b precise, m in AS level n studying Phy(9072), Chem(9701), Maths(9709) and Further Maths(9231), and will b havin AS xmx in the cming May/June session

That is pretty brutal the subjects you are doing! I am studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics (All CIE), won't have time to study chemistry. U doing them at A2 level as well?!