• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Diverging/concave lens

Reaction score
I also can't really get question 6 of the same paper so please help! :S

Reaction score
Since, its a diverging lens, the image that'll be formed will be virtual and on the same side of the object. Make the two light rays as shown in the diagram. The red line is actually a dotted virtual line that is supposed to be passed through the focal point. And the second ray is passed through the center of the lens, the intersection of the two lines is the top of the image. So the answer is B. This is the method of determining the image or the object position in a diverging lens. See the optics chapter of Explaining phyics for better understanding. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 64

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
abcde said:
I also can't really get question 6 of the same paper so please help! :S

Friction acts to oppose slipping between surfaces. Imagine that coin spinning with the turntable. If there were no friction, where would it tend to go? Since the table is rotating, the coin would go outwards => towards C! but the question says, it remains in the same position ..So, the friction force must be in opposite direction..i.e inwards! (Opposite of C)
So A is the answer!
Hope this makes sense!

Reaction score
Its because of the reaction force that the coin will go outwards. So friction force has to oppose it to keep the coin stationary. Nibz has given a very good explanation. The reaction force is actually the reaction for the centripetal force towards the center of the table where the friction force will act.