• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

do u lose marks if u dont quote ur answer to 3sf for maths

Reaction score
Yeah i just wanted to ask if u really lost marks for not putting ur answers to 3sf, because i didnt.
My teacher didnt tell me and i didnt read the cover.
So am i screwed?
Also howmany marks u think i lost in total?

Reaction score
Re: do u lose marks if u dont quote ur answer to 3sf for mat

Did that question specifically mention the number of significant figures? If not, then you won't loose marks... You just need to give appropriate answer when question doesn't mention it...

Reaction score

CaptainDanger said:
Did that question specifically mention the number of significant figures? If not, then you won't loose marks... You just need to give appropriate answer when question doesn't mention it...
no the cover specially specified that the answer should atleast pto 3sf!!! bt chill if u hav written FULL numbers then betterrr!! if not then u may loose overall 2-5 mrks at the MOST :) dnt worrry

Reaction score

no the cover specially specified that the answer should atleast pto 3sf!!! bt chill if u hav written FULL numbers then betterrr!! if not then u may loose overall 2-5 mrks at the MOST :) dnt worrry

well i usually write to about like 3-4 decimal points, i did do pretty much all my answers to more than 3 sf but the question is does it have to be exact 3sf, if so im screwed.

Reaction score

well i usually write to about like 3-4 decimal points, i did do pretty much all my answers to more than 3 sf but the question is does it have to be exact 3sf, if so im screwed.[/quote]
ooo then chilll if uve done moree than 3 then itss perectly olriteee :D

Reaction score

guys..guys..
all what you have said has a wrong part, just read my reply and you will be full specified...trust me !! :D
in the first page of any paper from cie, there is instructions, part of these instructions says:
"If the degree of accuracy is not specified in the question, and if the answer is not exact, give the answer to
three significant figures. Give answers in degrees to one decimal place"
Thats all !!
Its not a big deal btw ^_^"

Reaction score

890xyzn said:
Yeah i just wanted to ask if u really lost marks for not putting ur answers to 3sf, because i didnt.
My teacher didnt tell me and i didnt read the cover.
So am i screwed?
Also howmany marks u think i lost in total?

You know in the 1st page of the question paper itself they write the rules about writing all the answers to 3 sf. But, you can't be blamed as it is your teachers fault that you didn't read that page. Well, my teach always tells us to write all the answers to 3sf unless they specify to write in an another sf. But, don't worry, you might loose max 5 marks. It ain't a big deal :)

Reaction score

You wrote 3-4 decimal places?? That's bad! :|
You have to write for 3 significant figures unless specified. But there are exceptions such as :

If your answer is exact like, for instance, your calculator shows an answer like : 89.445 then it's okay to write it as such (89.445 instead of 89.4)
If you get an answer like, 23242.2342342 then you can write the answer as 23242 instead of writing it as 23200
And for currency, it should always have 2 decimal places, for example, you get an answer like $12.5 it should be written as $12.50

and there maybe few others which I can't remember at the moment!

Also, like others said you may loose around 5 marks? But hey, chill out, theres nothing we can do over spilt milk :/

Good luck on your other exams! :)