• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Doing AS Level Chemistry?

Reaction score
Is it necessary to learn chemistry in IGCSE before taking a step to AS Level Chemistry, to be able to get an A on the exam?

Honestly, I have trouble studying chem as I don't understand much. I don't take IGCSE chemistry.

KZW

Reaction score
Its not necessary for you to take IGCSE chemistry before going for AS, but its strongly recommended, since AS builds up on IGCSE as a foundation.
ie. Organic chemistry knowledge about alkenes, alkanes etc are taught in IGCSE, and are carried on further in AS.
Basic moles calculations are taught in IGCSE as well, and to some extent it is essential in AS.
Getting an A in AS isn't impossible without IGCSE, if you're willing to put in the effort.

Reaction score
Yes, It is necessary as it will provide you the glimpse and is the basics of the AS chemistry.. as it teaches you briefly about organic chemistry which is not taught in AS but is asked in AS papers.. so my advice is that you take chemistry..

Reaction score
Ah, alright... maybe I should browse and go read a few of IGCSE chemistry from now. thank you for the information :)