• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Eco paper 1 - doubt!

Reaction score
I'll begin with a doubt i'm having.

The table shows the price indices and weights for three commodity groups that are included in
the calculation of a country's consumer price index.
commodity group index weight
X 400 5
Y 120 3
Z 80 2
By how much has the cost of living increased since the base year?
A 52 % B 60 % C 152 % D 520 %

How do you go about such a question?

Reaction score
scan0001.jpg
hi there, i beleive you are new here, it would be better if you posted the link of the question paper insted of pasting it, the table is really jumbled up and hard to understand
nevermind, please see my attachment, hopfully you will understand how to solve this question.

Reaction score
View attachment 9334
hi there, i beleive you are new here, it would be better if you posted the link of the question paper insted of pasting it, the table is really jumbled up and hard to understand
nevermind, please see my attachment, hopfully you will understand how to solve this question.
Thanks! And yeah, I was in a rush whilst posting this thread so didn't care to recheck the post. Thanks anyway, I'd made a calculation error previously!

Reaction score

% Change in the price of tractors = 10%
% Change in Quantity Supplied by X = 10%

Therefore, PES of X is 10% / 10% = 1

% Change in Quantity Supplied by Y = 20%
Therefore, PES of Y is 20% / 10% = 2
Now, because both of them have an equal share of the market, i.e. 50% each, you need to add the two elasticity values and divide them by 2.
ANS = (1 + 2)/2
= 1.5 (option B)
Cheers!

Reaction score
View attachment 9334
wont the ans be 52 since it was hundred in base year? :O

Reaction score
% Change in Quantity Supplied by X = 10%

Therefore, PES of X is 10% / 10% = 1

% Change in Quantity Supplied by Y = 20%
Therefore, PES of Y is 20% / 10% = 2
Now, because both of them have an equal share of the market, i.e. 50% each, you need to add the two elasticity values and divide them by 2.
ANS = (1 + 2)/2
= 1.5 (option B)
Cheers!
thankyouu

Reaction score

21 its b
we know the formula for terms of trade is index of export prices/ index of import prices into 100
so the question tells us the TOT IS 150, and the export prices have risen by 20%, therefore this means that the index of export prices is 120

now all we have to do is find the correct index of imports which gives us an TOT of 150
so, try each key until you get a tot of 150
using b, 120/(100-20) X100 =150
this mateches the tot given in the question, thereofe there must be a -20% fall in avergare prices of imports