• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics?Is it easy enough

Reaction score
I plan on going towards a business type field like into LUMS or IBA,so is it advisable to give economics instead of Biology.I got an A* in O level Bio,but didnt study eco in O level,so will i be able to cope with the sudden change?And what is the main core of the Economics syllabus,is it more Maths oriented or basic english language and conceptual skills.Or is it complete Ratta?Please help me out here,calling out to all people who gave Eco in A levels:coffee:

Reaction score
I want to take Business subs...eco busines and probaly acc..and also english language
can u or anyone tell me dat is Eng lang As or A lvl?

Reaction score
English Language was previously AS level only, since June '14 its a complete A level... the examiners were NOT lenient at all!

Reaction score
Yeah alot of people opt for Eco as a 4th subject in A level with Phy/Chem/Maths.
You can definitely do Economics in A level without a commerce/business background.
In fact I did self study for AS, studied 4-5 days for the exam, and just took Eco A2 at school in the last semester.
I think I went thru A2 course for a day or two before the exam, and ended getting a C! Definitely satisfied as I didn't study any better for it.
But don't take it too lightly though.
I knew the gist of it so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.
LOL

Go for it!

Oh, and I would say it's not maths oriented. Its a different thing. You study alot of graphs though (Demand/supply bla bla graphs). Once you know the basics of the graphs you can manage it.
Its not Ratta, if you've correctly understood the theory in class, you probably would remember it a long way down. Infact, my friend, I never saw him studying for Eco in class, and he never opened his notebook but just understood what the sir had to say, and he got an A* or an A.

If you want to opt for LUMS/IBA in the future, definitely go for Eco over Bio.

Reaction score
Yeah alot of people opt for Eco as a 4th subject in A level with Phy/Chem/Maths.
You can definitely do Economics in A level without a commerce/business background.
In fact I did self study for AS, studied 4-5 days for the exam, and just took Eco A2 at school in the last semester.
I think I went thru A2 course for a day or two before the exam, and ended getting a C! Definitely satisfied as I didn't study any better for it.
But don't take it too lightly though.
I knew the gist of it so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.
LOL

Go for it!

Oh, and I would say it's not maths oriented. Its a different thing. You study alot of graphs though (Demand/supply bla bla graphs). Once you know the basics of the graphs you can manage it.
Its not Ratta, if you've correctly understood the theory in class, you probably would remember it a long way down. Infact, my friend, I never saw him studying for Eco in class, and he never opened his notebook but just understood what the sir had to say, and he got an A* or an A.

If you want to opt for LUMS/IBA in the future, definitely go for Eco over Bio.
Do you know anyone here who got an A or A* in AL Economics?And what book do i need?Can it be done by self study,because there are no good teachers here of Eco i guess.

Reaction score
Do you know anyone here who got an A or A* in AL Economics?And what book do i need?Can it be done by self study,because there are no good teachers here of Eco i guess.
No I'm not in touch with forum members here. Not sure about the book.
I studied AS from some notes I bought from a photocopier. And A2 with our teacher's worksheets.
You can get an A with a little guidance and practice.

Reaction score
No I'm not in touch with forum members here. Not sure about the book.
I studied AS from some notes I bought from a photocopier. And A2 with our teacher's worksheets.
You can get an A with a little guidance and practice.
The problem is i have Maths,Chem and Phy too,so will Economics become more harder due to a total of 4 subs?

Reaction score
can u plz clear my problem dat if im already taking bussiness than i shuldnt take eco..or vice versa?
If you're taking 4 subjects then you can take both economics and business.
If you're taking 3, you can take both, but to be on the safe side just choose either eco or business.

Reaction score
the examiners were NOT lenient at all! for AS or A?
For complete A level maybe. As most of the people I talked to who took the exam were totally unsatisfied with their grades.
Those expecting A's or B's ended with D's and E's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you're taking 4 subjects then you can take both economics and business.
If you're taking 3, you can take both, but to be on the safe side just choose either eco or business.
is bussines eco acc nd eng fine?
nd how hard is accounting?

Reaction score
is bussines eco acc nd eng fine?
nd how hard is accounting?
I read in the accounting syllabus,that candidates are recommended to have studied accounting previously i.e in o level.The syllabi for Business and Economics didnt require the same and said that the syllabus assumes there is no prior learning of the subject.I have also heard from most of my seniors that A level accounting is very hard,as compared to O level.So choose wisely.