• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

edexcel math and further math

Reaction score
i've been thinking of appearing for edexcel further math but have found out after some research that u need to give edexcel math b4 u give FM...is this true? plus what are "cash-ins" and "cash-in codes"?? help will be welcome..cheers! :)

Reaction score
Well I'm in edexcel and I'm taking further maths. Although I have finished my A level maths in one year prior to taking futher maths, I haven't heard of any such rules regarding FM. Most probably your source implied that you need to cover the knowledge of maths or else FM becomes difficult. Edexcel FM will consist of six units of which two from FP1, FP2, and FP3 are compulsory. FP1 requires some knowledge of C1 and C2 which are equvalent to CIE P1 and FP2 requires some knowledge of C3 and C4 and which are equivalent to CIE P3

Unlike in CIE, the exams in edexcel are modulated, with one subject normally consisting of 6 units. One can sit for the units at different sessions and will only receive unit marks certification. In order receive an AS or A level qualification certificate, a cash in code option has to selected which 'locks' your given or current session's ongoing units and considers them as a whole AS/A level subject. Simply put, its a way of telling edexcel which of your given units you would like them to consider for a complete subject. This system exists due to the fact that a person may resit an unit and because anyone wishing can sit for more than the required number units for an A level to be awarded.
Note: once a cash in code has been given, you can no longer go for a resit for any units of that particular subject/award.

Reaction score
cool information posted. is it not better to appear in CIE ALevels rather than EDEXCEL?