• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Argumentative Essay - How much does it score?

21 or more?

• Less than 21.

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Over 22.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
NOTE:- This is not by any stretch the revealing of the paper. I realize 24 hours haven't passed and thus am asking about my question here

So in Section B, I chose Part 2, The argumentative one.

My grammar was good (rechecked), I wrote some 540 words, my sentence structure was pretty good (I got consistent As in Mocks and School Exams).

However, it's probably the first time I have done argumentative in a exam (because my imagination deserted me in the story and the one word part - while I was completely blank on the first and fifth).

My friends are saying it's a VERY low scoring question and I can at max hope for 20 to 21.

Is it so?

My format was 5-6 points for, then I presented some counter arguments and argued how they can be solved etc. Did a decent ending and beginning - added a quote too.

I can't reveal my points here due to the 24 hrs rule (Though they were all relevant), but still please give me a idea how much I can hope to achieve. I realize this paper gets low scores and since people didn't go for argumentative, maybe it's percentile may go down. Also, I still have a comprehension paper to attend.

BUT STILL, do I have any chance of getting over 22 here?

Reaction score
NOTE:- This is not by any stretch the revealing of the paper. I realize 24 hours haven't passed and thus am asking about my question here

So in Section B, I chose Part 2, The argumentative one.

My grammar was good (rechecked), I wrote some 540 words, my sentence structure was pretty good (I got consistent As in Mocks and School Exams).

However, it's probably the first time I have done argumentative in a exam (because my imagination deserted me in the story and the one word part - while I was completely blank on the first and fifth).

My friends are saying it's a VERY low scoring question and I can at max hope for 20 to 21.

Is it so?

My format was 5-6 points for, then I presented some counter arguments and argued how they can be solved etc. Did a decent ending and beginning - added a quote too.

I can't reveal my points here due to the 24 hrs rule (Though they were all relevant), but still please give me a idea how much I can hope to achieve. I realize this paper gets low scores and since people didn't go for argumentative, maybe it's percentile may go down. Also, I still have a comprehension paper to attend.

BUT STILL, do I have any chance of getting over 22 here?
Yes of course. Why not? If you had elaborated everything in detail with eloquence and arguments, hopefully you'll be very close to Band 1 or Band 2 for creative writing part! It has been a stereotype among people about argumentative essays. People find it difficult to write about them because they are very limited and you cannot always expect to write fully to comprehend your ideas. However, if the message or the points remains coherent in your essay, it will not be difficult for you to score good marks in it! I didn't attempt that topic. I attempted topic number 6 which was a story writing topic. I hope you remember that! It was easier for me to write it. I also ensured my grammar was alright. My vocab was top-notch in both sections and my writing standard was high. Although, I'm a bit unsatisfied with the exceeding length in both sections. Around 337 in Section 1 and 557 in Section 2.

Reaction score
Yes of course. Why not? If you had elaborated everything in detail with eloquence and arguments, hopefully you'll be very close to Band 1 or Band 2 for creative writing part! It has been a stereotype among people about argumentative essays. People find it difficult to write about them because they are very limited and you cannot always expect to write fully to comprehend your ideas. However, if the message or the points remains coherent in your essay, it will not be difficult for you to score good marks in it! I didn't attempt that topic. I attempted topic number 6 which was a story writing topic. I hope you remember that! It was easier for me to write it. I also ensured my grammar was alright. My vocab was top-notch in both sections and my writing standard was high. Although, I'm a bit unsatisfied with the exceeding length in both sections. Around 337 in Section 1 and 557 in Section 2.

My length was roughly the same.

Six yeah. It had loads of possibilities to be honest. I just couldn't really get my head round a 500 word text today. All were me stretching after 400.

Reaction score

But wouldn't they deduct marks for exceeding word limits?