• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English composition formats? Anyone? !!!!

Reaction score
Please help!

Could anyone please post the PROPER format for

~Formal Letter
~Informal Letter
~Account (to someone like a principal or police)
~Article

Please help me out!

Olevels 1123 English Language.

IT WOULD REALLY HELP ME A LOT! :)

Reaction score
informal letter has no specific format and could be started directly from ''Dear mom,''.
or u can give your address at the top and finish it of like
Love
Steve

Reaction score
instructions are mostly give in the question paper like its written "To the police".
account is started like this and ended with your name and date

Reaction score
can u tell me what to do to improve composition

Thank you so much!
Yeah... There are several points to improve your composition.

1. Sentences of different lengths to give more emphasis and it gives a more impressive look instead of 3 line length sentences.
2. Impressive vocabulary. Words that give a striking impression.
3. Keep in mind who you are writing for and what you want the reader to feel or think.
4. Metaphors and idioms :)

All depends on which compostion you write.. :)
Any questions I'm here :p

Reaction score
Oh and sorry but do you know the format for report?

If it is a GENERAL REPORT you start it as follows:

To: (the principal or the police department for eg.)
Subject: (A short subject informing about your account-for eg: Vandalization of school property)
Date:

After leaving a liney you start simply by stating "On this date this event took place" as in give an outline of the incident that took place and when it had happened.

In the next paragraph or the next three paragraphs(upto your convenience) you will elaborate on the given points that is the details of the account.

The last paragraph which can either be the third, fourth or fifth one (but not more than that) you conclude the report according to the question requirement.

HOPE THIS HELPED :)

Reaction score
If it is a FORMAL ACCOUNT you start it as follows:

To: (the principal or the police department for eg.)
Subject: (A short subject informing about your account-for eg: Vandalization of school property)
Date:

After leaving a liney you start simply by stating "On this date this event took place" as in give an outline of the incident that took place and when it had happened.

In the next paragraph or the next three paragraphs(upto your convenience) you will elaborate on the given points that is the details of the account.

The last paragraph which can either be the third, fourth or fifth one (but not more than that) you conclude the account according to the question requirement.

HOPE THIS HELPED :)

Thankyou so much!!! Really helped A LOT!
The to: and from: etc.
Do we write the actual to: ....
Or just start off.

To: The Principal

Or just

The Principal

?

Reaction score
Thankyou!

Reaction score
Thankyou!

The format for the news report is very easy. First of all it is in the indented format unlike other writings. Only the first Paragraph is a little different.

Islamabad,8 May 2012: A boy named Sheheryar Asghar was reported to be missing at around 2:30 pm when he did not return home after school but...
.......................................................(You give the outline of your news report) and the first paragraph is not in indented fromat because the city and date has to be written EXACTLY LIKE THIS)
--------Sheheryar, aged 9, went to school on his school shuttle service but...(you give the details of the news report in A DIFFERENT PARAGRAPH IN THE INDENTED FORMAT WITHOUT LEAVING A LINE BETWEEN THE TWO PARAGRAPHS BUT YOU give a two finger space for writing in the indent format).
--------The parents eventually found their son when a man accompanied him to...(The last paragraph concludes your report WITHOUT GIVING YOUR OWN OPINION but just providing a resolution to the report, this can either be the fourth or fifth paragraph because it is better to give each point of the question one paragraph each. It makes it easier for the examiner :p )

SO this is the format of the news report. Remember that in the news report, paragraphs are usually shorter.

Reaction score
Well i thought that the report also starts from
To
From
Subject
Date
And also Everything in the Letter should be On the LEFT SIDE

Reaction score
Well i thought that the report also starts from
To
From
Subject
Date
And also Everything in the Letter should be On the LEFT SIDE

No the news report starts off like the way i posted before and To,from, subject, date is for the general report!

Reaction score
Please help!

Could anyone please post the PROPER format for
~Account (to someone like a principal or police)
Please help me out!

Olevels 1123 English Language
Thankyou!
The TO,FROM,SUBJECT,DATE fr=ormat was for the GENERAL REPORT NOT FOR A FORMAL ACCOUNT.

This is the format of an account:

SUBJECT (underlined to highlight neatly)

The body of your account starting with the first paragraph that talks about what happened, where and when it took place.

The second-third paragraph giving the details of the incident.

The last paragraph which concludes the account in the way examiner has asked you to.

Your Name
Your class( if writing to the principal).

Please forgive me for confusing you before but this is the authentic format for the account and I have Edited the my previous post so now it correctly states the format of the General Report!!

Reaction score
are there any signature at the bottom of our report or account? and it should be written on which side?
and where should be the position of signature in both formal and informal letter? o_O

Reaction score
For a frrmal letter, this is th official format:

Senders address line 1
Senders address line 2
Senders address line 3
Senders address line 4
(leave a line)
Senders contact info line 1
senders contact info line 2
(leave a line)
Reipients addressiiine 1
Iiiipients address line 2