• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English letter writing?

Reaction score
This may sound a little stupid but..
When writing a letter what format do we use? My english teacher has always made us start directly with: 'Dear Example'.
However, I just opened a revision guide which instructs beginning with:
-House No.
-Town
-District
-Date.

I'm fairly confused right now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also for the format of speeches, accounts and reports?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
When writing a letter what format do we use? My english teacher has always made us start directly with: 'Dear Example'.
-House No.
-Town
-District
-Date.

follow the revision guide cuz dats by cie examiners wid over 50 yrs of experience.....

Reaction score
-House No.
-Town
-District
-Date.

I gave my english exam last november and had the same problem. Basically, if the question STATES "Start your letter with Dear blah blah blah"

Then you have to start your letter from there. The examiners want to see if u can follow commands. So yeah, just use the starting they give you IF stated.

However, if they haven't given you something to start your letter off with then you can use your format.

Remember, if they have told you what to start with then you have to start with what they've told you. They check if you've followed the command, hence, judging your English. Get it? :)

Lol I typed too much. Anyways, yeah. I learnt this off some examiner report agess ago. No doubts there :)

Good luck!

Reaction score
I gave my english exam last november and had the same problem. Basically, if the question STATES "Start your letter with Dear blah blah blah"

Then you have to start your letter from there. The examiners want to see if u can follow commands. So yeah, just use the starting they give you IF stated.

However, if they haven't given you something to start your letter off with then you can use your format.

Remember, if they have told you what to start with then you have to start with what they've told you. They check if you've followed the command, hence, judging your English. Get it? :)

Lol I typed too much. Anyways, yeah. I learnt this off some examiner report agess ago. No doubts there :)

Good luck!
Oh lmao, k yeah I think I got it. Don't laugh but.. What would I use as my own format? -.-
Even if it's not mentioned, can't I just use 'Dear whoever'? D:
Thanks btw:D

Reaction score
Oh lmao, k yeah I think I got it. Don't laugh but.. What would I use as my own format? -.-
there is no restriction for format. any STANDARD format would work. if u invent a method in which you write the number of post office instead of address is not allowed though :p

Reaction score

lol dw I'm not laughing. It's just a question. Um use the standard letter format then.

Like in formal letters:

Sender's address

Date

Receiver's address

Dear blah blah,

Regards,
name

Or in formal:

Any address (doesn't really matter. Put your own one in or the receiver's)

Dear blah blah

Love/ From/ Yours truly,
name

:) hope it helped. Chillax, the examiners just want to see how organised and professional you can be. They're not dead strict about the format. Just keep in mind if they tell you how to start!

Reaction score
lol dw I'm not laughing. It's just a question. Um use the standard letter format then.

Like in formal letters:

Sender's address

Date

Receiver's address

Dear blah blah,

Regards,
name

Or in formal:

Any address (doesn't really matter. Put your own one in or the receiver's)

Dear blah blah

Love/ From/ Yours truly,
name

:) hope it helped. Chillax, the examiners just want to see how organised and professional you can be. They're not dead strict about the format. Just keep in mind if they tell you how to start!

Hah, alrightt. Thank you thoughh<3