• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Literature

Reaction score
Yo there. As stated in the title, this is about O level English Literature. The syllabus in itself and actual exam are quite easy, considering that you only have to answer 4 questions, with the option of three different kinds of formats( essay based, passage based and empathics) in the exam. But there is a way in which and easy A*, and even a distinction, can be awarded to a candidate, who is even comparatively less fluent in English Language, if he has the right preperation.

But before I discuss the entire shabang, I have a few questions for those who know about the subject and the details.

Firstly, to get a distinction, maybe even a world distinction, is it mandatory that we attempt all three types of questions, and one other. Because I heard that we have to attempt an essay based question, passage based question, emphatic question, and one more question of our choice to get the distinction. Is this true?

Reaction score
Yo there. As stated in the title, this is about O level English Literature. The syllabus in itself and actual exam are quite easy, considering that you only have to answer 4 estions, with the option of three different kinds of formats( essay based, passage based and empathics) in the exam. But there is a way in which and easy A*, and even a distinction, can be awarded to a candidate, who is even comparatively less fluent in English Language, if he has the right preperation.

But before I discuss the entire shabang, I have a few questions for those who know about the subject and the details.

Firstly, to get a distinction, maybe even a world distinction, is it mandatory that we attempt all three types of questions, and one other. Because I heard that we have to attempt an essay based question, passage based question, emphatic question, and one more question of our choice to get the distinction. Is this true?

Generally, to get a high mark you would have to give a thorough critical analysis on the text and u must know some quotes/phrases from the text to support your ideas and show that u have a good knowledge of the text. As far as awards are concerned, I'm not too sure but I guess its a bit tough. But with the right prep it should be possible. Hope this helps!
BTW- what texts are you studying for prose, drama & poetry