• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Environmental Management

Reaction score
I'll be taking EM in M/J 2014 (IA), as I have a plenty of time so I want to know abt the best strategy to study this subject to get an A*. pls suggest me how shud I prepare myself n also do I need to memorise all the facts or only concentrate on the effects n outcomes of things? Also which book I can use other than the Pallister one? any other tips u want to share?
Thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
Read the book of John Pallister thoroughly and once you are done with that solve past papers. Since you have a lot of time, so you should do as many past papers as you can. In addition, read the examiner reports along so that you can have idea about common mistakes and later you can avoid them. I don't think there is any other book better than Pallister's. After doing the complete preparation go for internet surfing for different topics like global warming, mining, forests, deforestation, conservation policies etc (just to explore and if you have an interest in knowing further). You should know the facts, effects, advantages, disadvantages and conservation policies.
Read it with interest as the subject is pretty good and you would enjoy doing it!

Reaction score
Read the book of John Pallister thoroughly and once you are done with that solve past papers. Since you have a lot of time, so you should do as many past papers as you can. In addition, read the examiner reports along so that you can have idea about common mistakes and later you can avoid them. I don't think there is any other book better than Pallister's. After doing the complete preparation go for internet surfing for different topics like global warming, mining, forests, deforestation, conservation policies etc (just to explore and if you have an interest in knowing further). You should know the facts, effects, advantages, disadvantages and conservation policies.
Read it with interest as the subject is pretty good and you would enjoy doing it!
ty so much :)

Reaction score
ty so much :)
i would agree with zainenayab here. John Pallister's book is extremely precise, to the point and enough. You just need to get an idea of the way questions appear in the board, which would obviously be done by pastpapers. Other than that, EM (although too much) is an easy subject and getting an A or A* is not impossible :)

Reaction score
I'll be taking EM in M/J 2014 (IA), as I have a plenty of time so I want to know abt the best strategy to study this subject to get an A*. pls suggest me how shud I prepare myself n also do I need to memorise all the facts or only concentrate on the effects n outcomes of things? Also which book I can use other than the Pallister one? any other tips u want to share?
Thank you in advance :)

Everything u need for em by urs truly . please appreciate the hardwork.
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/the-much-needed-em-thread.27216/

Reaction score
Everything u need for em by urs truly . please appreciate the hardwork.
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/the-much-needed-em-thread.27216/
i would agree with zainenayab here. John Pallister's book is extremely precise, to the point and enough. You just need to get an idea of the way questions appear in the board, which would obviously be done by pastpapers. Other than that, EM (although too much) is an easy subject and getting an A or A* is not impossible :)
thank u ppl :D

Reaction score
hey, guys i have a question. in paper 2 of EM, where they ask us to draw a graph, can we draw a bar graph, cos its so much easier OR do we have to draw
those points and draw a line thru them? im really confused, so if some could helps, it would be highly appreciated. Thanks:D

Reaction score
hey, guys i have a question. in paper 2 of EM, where they ask us to draw a graph, can we draw a bar graph, cos its so much easier OR do we have to draw
those points and draw a line thru them? im really confused, so if some could helps, it would be highly appreciated. Thanks:D

The 'graph with the line' is called a line graph.....In a question of a graph they usually do not specify what type of graph is required. In this case you are free to choose what you want. However in some cases they specify the type of graph required. (eg: draw a line graph to illustrate the given values)....in this case you do not have a choice.
In paper 4 however, some graphs are given in such a way where, although, they haven't specified the type, it is not possible to draw a bar graph. (There are 3 values......and cannot be drawn simply on the x and y axis) In this case a line graph is necessary with 2 lines going through them.

Reaction score
The 'graph with the line' is called a line graph.....In a question of a graph they usually do not specify what type of graph is required. In this case you are free to choose what you want. However in some cases they specify the type of graph required. (eg: draw a line graph to illustrate the given values)....in this case you do not have a choice.
In paper 4 however, some graphs are given in such a way where, although, they haven't specified the type, it is not possible to draw a bar graph. (There are 3 values......and cannot be drawn simply on the x and y axis) In this case a line graph is necessary with 2 lines going through them.

alright, i kinda understand what ur saying, but just help me out with this question, so that i fully understand it. in this paper http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Environmental Management (5014)/5014_w11_qp_22.pdf, Q1(a)(ii), where they do not specifically mention which graph to draw, and there are 3 values, ie: YEAR, AMOUNT of RAINFALL, and CLOVE HARVEST, what do we take on the x-axis and y-axis, IF we are drawing the 'LINE GRAPH"? do we follow the rule of, independent value on x-axis and dependent value on y-axis., but this is the case if we are drawing the "LINE GRAPH". Can you just also explain in simple yet detailed words, what you would do in this question?
For questions like these, can we instead draw a bar graph, cos it would be much neater, and easier to draw, just have the YEAR or AMOUNT OF RAINFALL on the x-axis, and draw bar graphs for its corresponding values of the CLOVE HARVEST.

Alright, that is it for now, please help me out, its really confusing.
and THANKS!

Reaction score
uhh, ok, i donot have any idea how to do the question as a bar chart- that's probably because we have always been taught a line graph....
If you want to know what i would do, here it is:
  • Label the years on the x axis.
  • The rainfall on the right side of the y axis
  • The harvest on the left side of the y axis....
Rainfall would be drawn in the form of bar graphs whereas harvest would be like a line graph ...
This is probably not easy to understand....but the graph would look something like the picture uploaded...in which 3 values are used at the same time....
Are you giving your EM paper this year?

Attachments

• skills_008.gif
    skills_008.gif
    71.8 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Yeah i am, paper 2 is on the 11th. so alright, is this how you are suppose to draw it, according to the attached file? wait, so does this mean BAR GRAPHS are not allowed? dont you think they are more suitable though.wow, im gonna have to learn how to draw these, if bar graphs are not allowed, guess this means, practice, practice, practice eh?

Reaction score
I don't really have any idea how you would do it with only bar graphs....
I'm giving my paper this year as well...my sibling have helped me in this though, both of them got A's
After that extremely easy paper 1, i have a gut feeling this one isn't going to be easy.
Best of luck anyway.

Reaction score
wait, so last time. i should form a graph according to the picture you attached previously right? if its that, i need some practice, and ill understand it.
and what do you mean, " extremely easy paper 1"... isnt paper 1 on the 7th?!

Reaction score
It MAY be possible to do it some other way....but this is the only way I know....
uhhh...no?? It was yesterday

Reaction score
maybe you are taking some other environmental management, cos mines on the 7th:]
well whatever one you have good luck man!

Reaction score
haha, always been a girl...planning to stay a girl
yupp, EM and Urdu...what about you?

Reaction score
Oh oops sorry. thought you were a guy.:)
uhh i have socio and EM left. theyr gonna be tough.i suck at time management.
Well good luck and thanks for the help!