• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Equivalence certificates for A levels and O levels !

Reaction score
Hello Everyone..
My concern is about equivalence criteria for British system which is used in Pakistan to convert O levels and A levels grades to equivalent percentages in order to get admission in Pak Universities ....
Now, As we know that a couple of certificates are required each of O levels and A levels , but the problem lies with the Equivalency system.
I had stayed in delusion until i looked into the equivalent criteria from the IBCC website.
It says that for O levels equivalent certificate , total marks obtained in o levels are divided by 800 and u get the percentage while for A levels equivalent certificate , O levels and A levels marks are added and divided by 1100 to get the A LEVEL's PERCENTAGE .........
This way , O levels remains dominant and if a student gets terrible grades in A levels ( let it be straight Es ) , his o levels grades can save him if they are good enough .On the whole If he gets 60% in A levels and in 60% in o levels already , he is eligible to apply for universities in Pakistan where this criteria is followed.

Though , this system is crystal clear to me but many , whom i have discussed to, says that the EQUIVALENCY CRITERIA which is available at the IBCC website is simply outdated thus, separate certificates of O and A levels are developed considering SEPERATE grades in corresponding levels ( i.e.. A levels equivalency is made by marks divided by 300 to get the percentage) and same goes with o levels ...

I leaves me in Dilemma and i need you guys to get me clear on this ...
If a person is getting job done poorly in As levels in any of the subjects so according to me he should not go for retake if he is aiming for Pak unis because his O levels grades can save him THAT way ...