• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Exams exams everywhere - some tips to ace them!

Reaction score
Hi and Salam buddies! :giggle:

Here I am again, like old times, welcoming you to a journey of techniques, tips and success in the world of exams. You may call these my secrets, tips taken from Newton’s closet or extraction of intellect from the ones whose names you have read on the Hall of Fames of CIE/Edexcel/OCR/AQA/Blah Blah. :p

Also, you guys may sit in the company of distinction holders, burn all your calories in libraries reading every single chapter of all the books available, but what I’m going to tell you here is something you won’t find anywhere. :D

Fact: Exams have never been easier to take and it takes a nerve of steel and razor-sharp brain to get through them. So if you have already taken these exams, salutes to your courage. :p

Read on and be enlightened for I have worked very hard (like always) on these tactics and techniques, and I’m sure they will help you achieve those awesome grades you’ve always wished to get:

• The first basic rule – STUDY. You study, you get your desired grades. As simple as that. No rocket science here. But the key thing here is: don’t over-study. Give your eyes some rest when they feel heavy. And this does not mean that you go to your washroom and throw some freezing water into them and resume your study again. NO. Just switch on the Tv, take a book maybe, or turn on your laptop and watch something good and relaxing. A football match, maybe? Always works for me!
  • " Do good and good will follow. " Simple yet very true. Be extremely generous (esp. at this time of the year). Give your notes, the good book that only you have in the whole school to the person you hate the most in your class. This will raise your soul, and will help you study more.
  • Another thing that works for me: Before starting the all-dreary preparation, just spread all the books you have on your table. Not literally, but don’t try to put every book, eraser and pen back into its place every time you finish your study. This will get you in the study mood and will help you stay awake.
  • A healthy mind resides in a healthy body. So no diet scene, okay? (for the ladies here)
  • Keep putting yourself through the toughest test you can while preparing. YOU CANNOT GO EASY ON YOURSELF DURING YOUR PREPARATION. This will help you identify your weak areas, so you can start working on them from day 1.
  • Refresh your time management skills. You should at least be able to put unproductive time during the day towards your desired goal (AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THAT DESIRED GOAL).
  • And then there are some sacrifices. In these two months of preparation (maybe three months, if you count the exam-month), you must be prepared to sacrifice, to forego family occasions, to skip your favourite television programme (sometimes), to read your course books rather than magazines. Because without sacrifices, there is no reward.
  • If you forget everything you’ve learned on the paper day, don’t forget to drop your pen near someone’s desk (someone smart). Just kidding. :p Always be self-sufficient. :)
  • Avoid high expectations. With no pressure, the desired result would be a lot easier to achieve.
  • Keep smiling. A smile/laugh activates many beneficial chemicals within the body that place us into a very happy state. Plus, it's a charity too.
  • And finally, if you fail to achieve what you've aimed for, be a MASTER INTERPRETER in that situation. Interpret that failure as a positive experience. There are no negative experiences, only experiences which aid in your development and toughen your character so that you may soar to new heights. In a nutshell, there are no failures, only lessons.
  • Finally, ALWAYS remember the power of Prayer. Pray five times a day. Pray as much nafal prayers as you can.

I hope these tips help you in your exam-preparations. Give your ideas too. I'll add them in my tips (if they are good, ofc. :p)
All the best!

( The author is currently preparing for his exams too, so wish him luck and pray for him )

P.S Thanks to abcde for reminding me to write these tips, and encouraging me by saying that people actually like them. :D
I got some tips useful here 11 exam revision tips to make an A* possible – Get revising

Reaction score
okay guyz so i have this big question in my mind and that is if i should or shouldn't make notes !! and I really need some serious advise
so basically i have my igs in may-june 2016 and I've recently strted preparing for them... and i do read lots of study tips and stuff and almost every study tip blog or article has one common tip and that is to MAKE NOTES!!!
Now for my past years i nvr made notes ( for some subjects our teachers wd force us to make notes so i wd copy from a frnd or from internet but i nvr looked back at them )
During my exams, i'd always read the txtbook and then read notes from internet and then watch some videos and would do pretty good in the exam

Now that i read soo much abt the importance of notes i've strted to make notes myself but i feel like they aren't helping me .....i'm not used to learning this way so i get bored and tired faster now ... it takes longer to finish a chptr now and i feel like i understand information but i'm unable to retain it ..

I soo want to quit making notes .....but i'm really confused if i shd do that or not ..!!

Reaction score
okay guyz so i have this big question in my mind and that is if i should or shouldn't make notes !! and I really need some serious advise
so basically i have my igs in may-june 2016 and I've recently strted preparing for them... and i do read lots of study tips and stuff and almost every study tip blog or article has one common tip and that is to MAKE NOTES!!!
Now for my past years i nvr made notes ( for some subjects our teachers wd force us to make notes so i wd copy from a frnd or from internet but i nvr looked back at them )
During my exams, i'd always read the txtbook and then read notes from internet and then watch some videos and would do pretty good in the exam

Now that i read soo much abt the importance of notes i've strted to make notes myself but i feel like they aren't helping me .....i'm not used to learning this way so i get bored and tired faster now ... it takes longer to finish a chptr now and i feel like i understand information but i'm unable to retain it ..

I soo want to quit making notes .....but i'm really confused if i shd do that or not ..!!
You need to understand that every one of us is different. Some strategies may help you raise your productivity but that does not mean they will work for everyone. Method of studying varies among different people. You need to find one that suites you the best and work that way. Remember, you need to maximize your learning capacity in the minimum time possible, so if making notes does not work for you, don't do it.

Reaction score
This applies for all the subjects, not just Economics

Attachments

• AS_Level_Economics_CD_Preparing for exams.pdf
    519.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
For all types of O/A level Material expected Questions go to Maths Genius Youtube Channel. Give suggestions for improvements.