• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Full O-Level GUIDANCE AND HELP!

Reaction score
Ahan.. and what is the criteria for a distinction?

You just need highest marks in a specific subject in a region, country, or world.
Just get full marks. That's mostly the case for a distinction in Maths and Add-Maths.
Mostly, even if you get one mark wrong, you lose a distinction.
For example, I got one mark wrong in O-Level maths and didn't get a distinction. I forgot to round an answer to whole number, so they cut a mark for that. So basically, it just needs to be a perfect paper.
But if no one from a region gets full marks, you can get a top in city if you get highest in that specific city.

Reaction score
Don't tell me u did in couple of hours???

2-3 days.
It's a simple subject. Mostly common sense. Topics about family, education, etc.
And it has lots of choice. We have to do like 3 out of 8 questions in the paper, so lots of choice. I prepared the minimum number of topics required. Even one topic less than minimum, as far as I remember. Didn't have the time.
If you have fairly good analysis and essay writing skills, it won't be a problem tbh.
But if you suck at English, and are going to ratta-fy everything in the book, then it'll be a big problem.
I know people who studied it for three years and got a C. So as I said, it depends on the person.
You can judge yourself and skim through the syllabus to take a look at the contents etc.

I was expecting a B. Got an A by some miracle. :p

Reaction score
2-3 days.
It's a simple subject. Mostly common sense. Topics about family, education, etc.
And it has lots of choice. We have to do like 3 out of 8 questions in the paper, so lots of choice. I prepared the minimum number of topics required. Even one topic less than minimum, as far as I remember. Didn't have the time.
If you have fairly good analysis and essay writing skills, it won't be a problem tbh.
But if you suck at English, and are going to ratta-fy everything in the book, then it'll be a big problem.
I know people who studied it for three years and got a C. So as I said, it depends on the person.
You can judge yourself and skim through the syllabus to take a look at the contents etc.

I was expecting a B. Got an A by some miracle. :p
Lol.. Actually I do have good essay writing skills.... I think I should go for it...

Reaction score
You just need highest marks in a specific subject in a region, country, or world.
Just get full marks. That's mostly the case for a distinction in Maths and Add-Maths.
Mostly, even if you get one mark wrong, you lose a distinction.
For example, I got one mark wrong in O-Level maths and didn't get a distinction. I forgot to round an answer to whole number, so they cut a mark for that. So basically, it just needs to be a perfect paper.
But if no one from a region gets full marks, you can get a top in city if you get highest in that specific city.
Ahan.. but there must be a number of students who might get 100%. So how do they judge you then? With the number of subjects you take? Or how you attempt the paper? etc.

Reaction score
Ahan.. but there must be a number of students who might get 100%. So how do they judge you then? With the number of subjects you take? Or how you attempt the paper? etc.

Well, the number of students with 100% depends on the subject and the difficulty of the paper. Each year its different.
In subjects like Maths and Add-Maths, sometimes multiple people get full marks and all of them are awarded a world distinction. I've seen even as many as 6 people from one city get a world distinction in Add-Maths cause all 6 had 100%.
But in subjects like Physics, Chemistry etc, usually 1-2 world distinctions are awarded to the people who get highest marks (99% or can even be 100%)
Usually, just ONE person manages to get the highest marks in a subject like Physics or Chemistry. But if two or three people get the same highest marks, then all of them would be awarded world distinctions, but that is rarely the case in such subjects because it's not as easy to score 100% in Physics as it is in a subject like Add-Maths.
Very FEW are able to get perfect marks in subjects like physics, so multiple world distinctions are not the norm.

The number of subjects are not taken into consideration at all. And as far as I know, the way of attempting the paper isn't either. And anyone who gets 100% obviously attempted the paper brilliantly. There is no better way to attempt a paper than to get full marks. I mean, if someone had missed a step or two in the working, then a mark would have been deducted, and he/she would no longer have 100% and thus no distinction.

So, the only thing that is considered for a distinction is that you need to have the highest marks in a specific subject.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, the number of students with 100% depends on the subject and the difficulty of the paper. Each year its different.
In subjects like Maths and Add-Maths, sometimes multiple people get full marks and all of them are awarded a world distinction. I've seen even as many as 6 people from one city get a world distinction in Add-Maths cause all 6 had 100%.
But in subjects like Physics, Chemistry etc, usually 1-2 world distinctions are awarded to the people who get highest marks (99% or can even be 100%)
Usually, just ONE person manages to get the highest marks in a subject like Physics or Chemistry. But if two or three people get the same highest marks, then all of them would be awarded world distinctions, but that is rarely the case in such subjects because it's not as easy to score 100% in Physics as it is in a subject like Add-Maths.
Very FEW are able to get perfect marks in subjects like physics, so multiple world distinctions are not the norm.

The number of subjects are not taken into consideration at all. And as far as I know, the way of attempting the paper isn't either. And anyone who gets 100% obviously attempted the paper brilliantly. There is no better way to attempt a paper than to get full marks. I mean, if someone had missed a step or two in the working, then a mark would have been deducted, and he/she would no longer have 100% and thus no distinction.

So, the only thing that is considered for a distinction is that you need to have the highest marks in a specific subject.
I see.. I didn't know there could be more than one distinctions in one subject.

Reaction score
any textbook suggestions for these subjects-environmental management,business studies,economics and commerce?? i need textbooks that completely cover the whole syllabus.

Reaction score
any textbook suggestions for these subjects-environmental management,business studies,economics and commerce?? i need textbooks that completely cover the whole syllabus.

Buy the CIE endorsed books for Business and Economics.
For Commerce, use the red book.
For EM the one by John Pallister.