• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FURTHER MATHS OPINION

Reaction score
would FURTHER MATHS be a good choise for A- level ?
i am thinking of making it my extra subject in A- level
so my combination of subjects would be

MATHS
PHYSICS
CHEMISTRY
FURTHER MATHS

is it okay ?

any suggestions ?

feel free to suggest :)

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
If you're thinking about 'Further Maths', you definitely love maths.
And that is why you should consider it!

From my point of view, your chosen subjects are the best possible combination for A-level. :idea:

Reaction score
mista.lova.lova
you are Scaring me Out Man

damn is it really so hard ?

Reaction score
I've heard that optional papers of A-level mathematics are the requirements to appear in Further Maths. =o Is that really true?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
UxaiR said:
mista.lova.lova

It isn't that scary!
Its damn difficult and that is what makes it interesting.

Zishi said:
I've heard that optional papers of A-level mathematics are the requirements to appear in Further Maths. =o Is that really true?
You need complete A-level mathematics with FM.

Reaction score
PlanetMaster said:
UxaiR said:
mista.lova.lova

It isn't that scary!

Zishi said:

Yeah, I've heard that. It means that we'd have to work VERY VERY hard, if we want to appear in Further Mathematics. ='(

Reaction score
UxaiR said:
mista.lova.lova

hahaha...dat really wasnt my purpose!! :p
if u've got 2 years for it and just three subs wid it, I can say dat ur B is confirmed, n a B in FM is better than an A in chem!! :)
bt hopefully, u can get an A....just practice it wen ever u get time, practice what u've learnt in start till end and do past papers before its too late.. :)

Reaction score
Zishi said:
PlanetMaster said:
UxaiR said:
mista.lova.lova

It isn't that scary!

Zishi said:

Yeah, I've heard that. It means that we'd have to work VERY VERY hard, if we want to appear in Further Mathematics. ='(

could you eleborate as i cant get the point

Reaction score
@creative22: Read all the posts of this thread, and the point will be automatically elaborated.

Reaction score
Although I may be speaking way too early (considering my result is to be announced in August), but Further Maths really isn't that hard if it clicks for you. True, some questions blow your mind, but don't forget that the percentile is really low as well. E.g an A ranges about 140/200 which is surely gettable. P1 is fairly easy, mostly memorization and very little concept. When you reach P2, however, things get nasty, especially in the Mechanics section. It makes you want to tear your hair out but it's only one or two questions which are hard. Stats is mostly memorization and solving questions using a template. The questions are nearly always the same but with different values (although the examiners do twist things a bit which makes it.. ugly).

All in all, if you take it easy, it'll be very hard for you. You will have to give extra time to further maths, there is no doubt about that. Don't fool yourself into believing you can get an A in further maths by simply studying a few days before the exam.

A piece of advice by me is that if your school allows you to, give Mathematics in one go at the end of year 1. It will clear up your concepts and make further maths much easier, besides reducing the workload of your A' Levels. Chemistry will undoubtedly take a lot of your time so you need to keep that in mind.

Reaction score
honestly speaking, further maths is a cake if u hv a good teacher

otherwise u r in fr an unpleasant experience

Reaction score
UxaiR said:
would FURTHER MATHS be a good choise for A- level ?
i am thinking of making it my extra subject in A- level
so my combination of subjects would be

MATHS
PHYSICS
CHEMISTRY
FURTHER MATHS

is it okay ?

any suggestions ?

feel free to suggest :)

Can u plz tell me Which chapters u have in further maths bcoz in Mauritius we do only Maths then either Statistics 2 or Mechanics 1.Thx

Reaction score
Azazel said:
Although I may be speaking way too early (considering my result is to be announced in August), but Further Maths really isn't that hard if it clicks for you. True, some questions blow your mind, but don't forget that the percentile is really low as well. E.g an A ranges about 140/200 which is surely gettable. P1 is fairly easy, mostly memorization and very little concept. When you reach P2, however, things get nasty, especially in the Mechanics section. It makes you want to tear your hair out but it's only one or two questions which are hard. Stats is mostly memorization and solving questions using a template. The questions are nearly always the same but with different values (although the examiners do twist things a bit which makes it.. ugly).

All in all, if you take it easy, it'll be very hard for you. You will have to give extra time to further maths, there is no doubt about that. Don't fool yourself into believing you can get an A in further maths by simply studying a few days before the exam.

A piece of advice by me is that if your school allows you to, give Mathematics in one go at the end of year 1. It will clear up your concepts and make further maths much easier, besides reducing the workload of your A' Levels. Chemistry will undoubtedly take a lot of your time so you need to keep that in mind.

This guy took the exact words out of my mouth. I fully agree with what you have to say and am also in the same situation (Result to be announced in August :p)

Very true about Paper 1. Depending on the difficulty level 70-80 marks consist of memorization which one can easily get if he has practiced enough. The rest though are the true questions which differentiate between those who really know their math and those who just memorized how to do questions. Paper 2 is tougher than P1. The Mechanics section is really conceptual and it is the most difficult section of Further Math (which possibly makes it the most difficult section of all A-Levels :p). You really need to have a strong concept AND practice a lot in order to do these questions. Sadly for me, I was really getting the hang of it and started to enjoy it (getting those SHM questions right was pure bliss :p) but I fucked up during the exam, making a lot of silly mistakes/misinterpreting questions and probably lost a ton of marks as a result. As for Stats, that is quite easy. Like Azazel said, most of the questions are of a set template and one can easily do those. But every time there is a tricky question of probability or distributions etc which again, is there to differentiate.

Hopefully come August 12 I'll receive get an A in it. (I really wanted and could have gotten an A* in it but due to some screw ups which I still can't forget, almost 2 months after the exam, it is REALLY unlikely).

Reaction score
Dear UxaiR.
It is better to take further maths.If you have interest in maths
your combination would be
Maths
Further Maths
Physics.
if you take extra subject like chemistry then you will be getting more burden. I have my friend who chose
four subjects(maths,physics,chemistry and Bio)
but he could get A only in Maths and straight Bs in others.Now he is doing engineering from GIKI.
and one thing that if you can cover syllabus till December then you would get A's by
keeping the same pace. Revision must be three to four times. I can help you in the matter(further maths and Physics).
I can suggest to purchase different books on further maths but be very specific on one book and for practice consult others one.
Regards
Anzaar