• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

GCE S1 Tomorrow

Reaction score
The only problem with S1 is that you have to learn many definitions :/ Advantages and disadvantages and stuff :/

Reaction score
umm... what definitions do we have to memorize? i didn't memorize any definition, they never brought a question which said define blah blah, did they?

Reaction score
umm... what definitions do we have to memorize? i didn't memorize any definition, they never brought a question which said define blah blah, did they?
Sometimes they ask you the meaning of a statistical model? Advantages of using models and disadvantages and stuff...

Reaction score
hmmm! But british council riyadh is not offering GCE Edexcel !

n there are only limited subjects in IAL! Ayesha B

I don't do any IALs!

All my subjects are GCE :)

And yes I heard that too but apparently our school had a choice.

GCE maths can be taken but other subs cannot be taken

My friends actually had a choice to do GCE or IAL in the sciences as well.

I guess it depends on your centre. :)

Reaction score
i once came across a question where they asked for the advantages of using quartiles to summarize data.
Sometimes they ask you the meaning of a statistical model? Advantages of using models and disadvantages and stuff...

Hmmm... yeah that's true but most of the time they are quite logical.

You mentioned statistical model, and that reminded me to go revise the first chapter as well (didnt really pay much attention to it lol)

For the quartiles and whatever, you can say they are not affected by extreme values, whereas mean and standard deviation are, as they take the middle 50% of the data into account.

Can you remember any more of those nasty questions, so we can all refresh our minds? :)

Reaction score
What's a disadvantage of using a statistical model? :/ Doesnt take practicality into consideration? :/ *exercising my logic* *not gonna help on a maths paper lol*

Reaction score
Hmmm... yeah that's true but most of the time they are quite logical.

You mentioned statistical model, and that reminded me to go revise the first chapter as well (didnt really pay much attention to it lol)

For the quartiles and whatever, you can say they are not affected by extreme values, whereas mean and standard deviation are, as they take the middle 50% of the data into account.

Can you remember any more of those nasty questions, so we can all refresh our minds? :)

The first chapter's only 3 pages or something :p

They might ask you to write down the main features and uses of a box plot.

Reaction score
The first chapter's only 3 pages or something :p

They might ask you to write down the main features and uses of a box plot.

What what what what? And how do you answer that? :p

Main features as in quartiles, median, lowest and highest values, outliers?

Reaction score
S1 Notes.............

Attachments

• Definitions for S1.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Questions on theory.pdf
    89.7 KB · Views: 13
  • S1 Compilation.doc
    91.5 KB · Views: 8
  • S1 notes.pdf
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
  • S1 Note-Sample.pdf
    477.9 KB · Views: 10
  • S1 Revision Notes V2 r1.pdf
    502.4 KB · Views: 13
  • S1 Revision Notes V2 r2.pdf
    392.6 KB · Views: 9
  • The_Big_50_Revision_S1.pdf
    492.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Statistics Revision.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Typical Exam Questions.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
I Relly hope they will not use the backup paper..... My god all of the backup papers are always harder

Reaction score
They used to ask alot of definations before now they ask 3-4 marks definations overall inside the paper so dont worry even if you loose the definations marks u will stil fall on A* provided that you did the rest of the paper correctly..

Reaction score
:)
I don't do any IALs!

I read it that you can give gce for those subjects which do not have coursework Science subs have coursework so you cannot give them from gce now I donno about your friend but I think his/her marks will be deducted for no coursework cuz it says in Bold letters in edexcels website that International centres can give IAL only....The only purpose for creating IAL was to include coursework on GCE and as international candidates cannot give coursework so they will give IAl..

Reaction score
:)

I read it that you can give gce for those subjects which do not have coursework Science subs have coursework so you cannot give them from gce now I donno about your friend but I think his/her marks will be deducted for no coursework cuz it says in Bold letters in edexcels website that International centres can give IAL only....The only purpose for creating IAL was to include coursework on GCE and as international candidates cannot give coursework so they will give IAl..

Mhmm, interesting! Yeah no they all ended up doing IALs anyway, because they didnt wanna do the coursework.

Loool anyway, that's not an issue haha. :)

Reaction score
I don't do any IALs!

Which is ur centre?