• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

guys how fats are you supposed be to finish math p4?

Reaction score
ayt thanks, i take p4 btw. now my question is how long are supposed to take, to finish in time before the exam is over?

Reaction score
the time division depends on the questions in the paper. There are about 9-12 questions in paper usually and time taken for each question depends on your skills in the topic(s) being assessed and length. In my opinion, if you are fully prepared and confident you can complete the paper max 45 minutes before. SURPRISING BUT TRUE FROM MY EXPERIENCE! :)

Reaction score
that's true, although I feel drawing graphs is sometimes time consuming, together with sequences
otherwise, thanks (y)
the time division depends on the questions in the paper. There are about 9-12 questions in paper usually and time taken for each question depends on your skills in the topic(s) being assessed and length. In my opinion, if you are fully prepared and confident you can complete the paper max 45 minutes before. SURPRISING BUT TRUE FROM MY EXPERIENCE! :)

Reaction score
does anyone have, igcse mathematics by karen morrison in pdf ? if you do, can you please upload it here on this thread

Reaction score
The sequences just test ur math logic and one answer can be deduced from the other part i.e. if you stuck in part (a) you may find the answer with the information in part (b) but not everytime. So the thing you need is the way to find nth term. In my opinion sequences will be a part of math upcoming p4 as they came before. ;) BEST OF LUCK and hope u will cope with it :)

Reaction score
The sequences just test ur math logic and one answer can be deduced from the other part i.e. if you stuck in part (a) you may find the answer with the information in part (b) but not everytime. So the thing you need is the way to find nth term. In my opinion sequences will be a part of math upcoming p4 as they came before. ;) BEST OF LUCK and hope u will cope with it :)
thanks a lot, and i've already coped with it, i've got no other choice;)

Reaction score
apart from an+b formula for nth term, I have another long but easy mehtod which can give you the solution to any possible sequence. In igcse for most we get the sequences with difference in two generations if there is unequal difference i.e. sequence: 2, 4, 8, 14, 22....
differences: 2, 4, 6, 8, .....
final ratio/second difference: 2, 2, 2....
In such cases you may use variables in quadratic forms, as they are till second difference, to substitute the sequence terms. This is general substitution for all such sequences.
i.e. sequence: a+b+c, 4a+2b+c, 9a+3b+c, 16a+4b+c, 25a+5b+c....
differences: 3a+b, 5a+b, 7a+b, 9a+b
final ratio: 2a, 2a, 2a
Note that the coefficients depends on the quadratic term: an^2 + bn+ c, n becomes term number and a,b and c are variables.
so now once you are done with it, find the values of a,b and c like this:
2a= 2
a= 1

3a+b= 2
3(1) + b= 2 (putting value of a)
b= 2-3= -1

a+b+c= 2
1+ (-1) + c= 2
c= 2

so now putting the values in quadratic term an^2+bn+c
so the nth term is n^2-n+2 (factorise further if possible)
Once you fully understand and master the concept, there should be no prolem in number sequences. :)
Any question??

Reaction score
so you use one of these (a+b+c) ( 4a+2b+c)( 9a+3b+c)( 16a+4b+c)( 25a+5b+c) formulas to find which variables work best for a particular sequence and then use the equation (an^2+bn+c) right? or you think of an equation that can work bets with the variables in the sequence other than (an^2+bn+c)
apart from an+b formula for nth term, I have another long but easy mehtod which can give you the solution to any possible sequence. In igcse for most we get the sequences with difference in two generations if there is unequal difference i.e. sequence: 2, 4, 8, 14, 22....
In such cases you may use variables in quadratic forms, as they are till second difference, to substitute the sequence terms. This is general substitution for all such sequences.
Note that the coefficients depends on the quadratic term: an^2 + bn+ c, n becomes term number and a,b and c are variables.
2a= 2
a= 1

3a+b= 2
b= 2-3= -1

a+b+c= 2
1+ (-1) + c= 2
c= 2

Once you fully understand and master the concept, there should be no prolem in number sequences. :)
Any question??

Reaction score
2a= 2
a= 1

3a+b= 2
b= 2-3= -1

a+b+c= 2
1+ (-1) + c= 2
c= 2

Any question??

This video explains that method. I use it as well. :)