• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Hall Probe in Physics P5

Reaction score
I found that Hall Probe came up in the M/J session P52 in 2010.
I have listed some of the problems that I hope people can answer:
1. How is Hall Probe drawn for using it to determine B of a magnetic field produced by a coil?
2. For the magnetic field produced by a coil, how can the center of the coil (and its axis) be determined? Does the axis have maximum value of B along it?

If you can, please refer to the mark scheme 9702_s10_ms_52.
Thank you!

Reaction score
You dont have to have details of the hall probe's circuit, all you have to know is its placed normally to the field in question; if you have to know, its a square with a cross in the center:
Common_Hall_Sensor_Symbol.png

As for your second question, the axis of the field is given by RIGHT HAND GRIP RULE. Field strength is best at the center. But for all practical purposes, its slightly impossible to place the hall probe in the center of the coil, unless the diameter is huugge, so you'll get full marks if you write constant position of hall probe from coil, eg. the hall probe always at the end of the coil. Hope it makes sense :)

Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, you draw it however you can, like a 3d shape (roughly) and its connected to a box then to a voltmeter. To get 'B' you have to calibrate the voltmeter

Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, you draw it however you can, like a 3d shape (roughly) and its connected to a box then to a voltmeter. To get 'B' you have to calibrate the voltmeter
What is Hall Voltage?
Does calibration mean assigning fixed Voltage value with analogous Flux Density?

Reaction score
As for your second question, yes. For your first, don't bother, you only learn about that if you're really going INTO the hall probe... Try simple.wikipedia.org if you really wanna know... Good luck! :)