• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HELP: BIO question.

Reaction score
Q) Using examples, explain the relationship between structure and function for:
a) Fibrous proteins
b ) Globular proteins
c) Glycoproteins

Reaction score
Q) Using examples, explain the relationship between structure and function for:
a) Fibrous proteins
b ) Globular proteins
c) Glycoproteins

a) Fibrous protein
Examples: Collagen, Keratin
Fibrous proteins are hydrophobic in nature hence they are insoluble in water. Secondary structure is most important in them. They play structural roles in the body.
b) Globular protein
Examples: Haemoglobin, Enzymes
Globular proteins are spherical in shape, with the hydrophilic amino acids on the outer surface, facing the aqueous environment and the hydrophobic amino acids in the interior. Tertiary srtucture is most important in them. They are soluble in water and have functional roles in the body.
c) Glycoprotein
Example: Immunoglobulins/Antibodies
Glycoproteins are conjugated molecules consisting of polypeptides attached to carbohydrate chains. Generally soluble in water. Have both functional (in the case of antibodies) and structural (in the case of the glycoproteins present in the cell surface membrane) roles in the body.

I've just given you a rough outline. A better answer would take one example from each one of these proteins and elaborate on their structures. I would recommend explaining the structures of collagen, haemoglobin and glycoproteins since they are included in the CIE A Level syllabus.

Reaction score
a) Fibrous protein
Examples: Collagen, Keratin
Fibrous proteins are hydrophobic in nature hence they are insoluble in water. Secondary structure is most important in them. They play structural roles in the body.
b) Globular protein
Examples: Haemoglobin, Enzymes
Globular proteins are spherical in shape, with the hydrophilic amino acids on the outer surface, facing the aqueous environment and the hydrophobic amino acids in the interior. Tertiary srtucture is most important in them. They are soluble in water and have functional roles in the body.
c) Glycoprotein
Example: Immunoglobulins/Antibodies
Glycoproteins are conjugated molecules consisting of polypeptides attached to carbohydrate chains. Generally soluble in water. Have both functional (in the case of antibodies) and structural (in the case of the glycoproteins present in the cell surface membrane) roles in the body.

I've just given you a rough outline. A better answer would take one example from each one of these proteins and elaborate on their structures. I would recommend explaining the structures of collagen, haemoglobin and glycoproteins since they are included in the CIE A Level syllabus.
Thx so much!

Reaction score
Bro thxxxxxxxxxxx so much ...keave last question I sent and solve this : q6 part cii, the calculation part.... http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP GCE Curriculum 2000/January 2009/6BI01_01_que_20090108.pdf

Firstly, I am not a 'bro', dude.
And the calculations are as follows:

Using the graph, the Incidence of heart disease per 1ooo population for:
a) 75 yr old men= 420
b) 18-44 yr old men= 30

Difference= 420-30=390

Increased risk= 390/30=13

Reaction score
yea I knw but is it ok if I calculate % increase as the answer ryt?

I don't think so. They've only asked for the increased risk, so you shouldn't calculate the percentage increase. You should check out what they say in the Examiner Report though.

Reaction score
I don't think so. They've only asked for the increased risk, so you shouldn't calculate the percentage increase. You should check out what they say in the Examiner Report though.
aha u r ryt!
Thx for helping aloooooooooooooot, btw this question no body understood in my class haha...thx
If I hv more I 'll post them!