• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help in English 1123

Reaction score
I am quite worried about the comprehension question 2 of paper 2 of english 1123 as I have to give the exam on tuesday( 15th may). I am getting 17/18 marks in it and i don't understand the own word questions and the explain fully questions. I just don't understand how to give the answer, what to write or how to formulate it!! Even though I read regularly novels and stories. I have read all the harry potter novels, dan brown novels, several sherlock holmes stories and what not! I understand them as well. Please suggest something on how to improve my score on this question. My paper 1 went quite well and I am worried this paper will affect my grade. Thanks.

Reaction score
I am quite worried about the comprehension question 2 of paper 2 of english 1123 as I have to give the exam on tuesday( 15th may). I am getting 17/18 marks in it and i don't understand the own word questions and the explain fully questions. I just don't understand how to give the answer, what to write or how to formulate it!! Even though I read regularly novels and stories. I have read all the harry potter novels, dan brown novels, several sherlock holmes stories and what not! I understand them as well. Please suggest something on how to improve my score on this question. My paper 1 went quite well and I am worried this paper will affect my grade. Thanks.

Well dude the real challenge IS the own word questions the others are easy so don't worry the own word part is pretty much everyone's problem right now. What you have to do is take out difficult words from the phrase they tell you to write in your own words, keep in mind usually those words would be equal to the number of marks of the question. But if the question is of 1 mark you might need to pick out 2 words. So pick out the difficult words and then change them into your own words and write the rest of the sentence as it is :)

Reaction score
As-Salamu Alaikum Brother..........umm....u may try these....:) we've got only 2 DAYS!! :rolleyes: JUST TRY TO REMEMBER THESE POINTS

1. you must read the whole passage at least once without fail.... [this is one of the primary mistakes i do.......the result of this affects my answers HORRIBLY!! :( and after answering a question, later i found out that the answer was somewhere else and something else :confused: !! ]​
*if you can then answer the word-meanings before starting the q.a. See point 6 for advice
2. while answering the questions......try not to miss out what the question actually wants....then look for the best possible answer.....and then mark them using () brackets.....[i did this mistake once, the ques. asked for something but I half-read the question and ended up answering the opposite!!! :oops: ]​
3. be PRECISE...don't be too wordy and don't bother to explain much (i.e. if the question doesn't ask to explain)....just simply use the space given (y) - they'll be Happy!​
4. DON'T USE TOO MUCH LITERARY WORDS....be SIMPLE!! They just want the answer!!​
5. USE YOUR OWN LANGUAGE - don't just cut and paste!!​
6. For the word-meanings - Remember to read the context from where the meaning was taken AND try to use SYNONYMS for your answer, otherwise give a simple meaning within 7 words...
7. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Confidence (the Mother of Good Marks :D ) - HAVE FAITH IN GOD THAT THIS IS THE EASIEST EXAM YOU'LL EVER GIVE!!! Trust me, it works! ;) And it worked for me every time!! :cool:

Hope that Helps Bro!! I'll be Praying for you InshaAllah!! :)

Reaction score
Well dude the real challenge IS the own word questions the others are easy so don't worry the own word part is pretty much everyone's problem right now. What you have to do is take out difficult words from the phrase they tell you to write in your own words, keep in mind usually those words would be equal to the number of marks of the question. But if the question is of 1 mark you might need to pick out 2 words. So pick out the difficult words and then change them into your own words and write the rest of the sentence as it is :)
So true small problem...hope their are not much of own word questions

Reaction score
As-Salamu Alaikum Brother..........umm....u may try these....:) we've got only 2 DAYS!! :rolleyes: JUST TRY TO REMEMBER THESE POINTS

1. you must read the whole passage at least once without fail.... [this is one of the primary mistakes i do.......the result of this affects my answers HORRIBLY!! :( and after answering a question, later i found out that the answer was somewhere else and something else :confused: !! ]​
*if you can then answer the word-meanings before starting the q.a. See point 6 for advice
2. while answering the questions......try not to miss out what the question actually wants....then look for the best possible answer.....and then mark them using () brackets.....[i did this mistake once, the ques. asked for something but I half-read the question and ended up answering the opposite!!! :oops: ]​
3. be PRECISE...don't be too wordy and don't bother to explain much (i.e. if the question doesn't ask to explain)....just simply use the space given (y) - they'll be Happy!​
4. DON'T USE TOO MUCH LITERARY WORDS....be SIMPLE!! They just want the answer!!​
5. USE YOUR OWN LANGUAGE - don't just cut and paste!!​
6. For the word-meanings - Remember to read the context from where the meaning was taken AND try to use SYNONYMS for your answer, otherwise give a simple meaning within 7 words...
7. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Confidence (the Mother of Good Marks :D ) - HAVE FAITH IN GOD THAT THIS IS THE EASIEST EXAM YOU'LL EVER GIVE!!! Trust me, it works! ;) And it worked for me every time!! :cool:

Hope that Helps Bro!! I'll be Praying for you InshaAllah!! :)
This all is for comprehension,, Can u plz guide me about the summary paper i.e how to get managed with content points,, summary etc?? :)

Reaction score
Show we write the surmarry points like cop and paste or on our own words
The content points are to be written in our own language but when we write those points in the summary, the difficult words should be changed into synonyms or own words :)

Reaction score
This all is for comprehension,, Can u plz guide me about the summary paper i.e how to get managed with content points,, summary etc?? :)
for summary...well:

1. b4 even starting to write the points read what the question wants from you

2. FOR NOTING POINTS: some points are present in the context in (i) a single sentence OR (ii) with explanation and example: So, for (i) u should b able to cut-paste into a short sentence and for (ii) u should summarize the explanation quickly into a single point [just simply write down the apparent theme of it]

3. FOR SUMMARY WRITING: check and include all the points u noted down earlier.....try to change the nouns, verbs or adjective as much as possible so that it doesn't match the passage [if possible change the structure of sentence e.g. passive to active]

4. don't cross the 160 word limit, this is totally up to you on how u fit in the points

still i think u should look for other's advice

Reaction score
For us in school we were thought that it was okay to cut and paste points???? :(((((

Reaction score
For us in school we were thought that it was okay to cut and paste points???? :(((((
ummm...i did write: "(i) u should b able to cut-paste into a short sentence" - so u should cut-paste wherever possible
How long should each point be of max
u should try and u can make it short i.e. without wasting time and without changing the meaning of course :)

Reaction score
ummm...i did write: "(i) u should b able to cut-paste into a short sentence" - so u should cut-paste wherever possible

u should try and u can make it short i.e. without wasting time and without changing the meaning of course :)
During sumary writing should we use our own words or just add them like continuous writing but using joining words like however, but, mainly,etc.

Reaction score

We actually had to shorten it in content points and even further shorten the content points in summary,, should the structure of sentence be altererd in the content points or summary??? :)

Reaction score

We actually had to shorten it in content points and even further shorten the content points in summary,, should the structure of sentence be altererd in the content points or summary??? :)

Reaction score
During sumary writing should we use our own words or just add them like continuous writing but using joining words like however, but, mainly,etc.
the summary MUST contain your OWN WORDS and it should NOT RESEMBLE (as much as possible) the actual passage to get better marks. [don't be afraid, its easy if you think and write simply in a calm mood]
SORRRYYYYY!!! :oops: I'm really sorry for being confusing..:( ..really I didn't notice that i forgot to indicate the points for "noting" & "summary" :cry:
I've edited my comment above....here, this will make things clear:
| 2. FOR NOTING POINTS: some points are present in the context in (i) a single sentence OR (ii) with explanation and example: So, for (i) u should b able to cut-paste into a short sentence and for (ii) u should summarize the explanation quickly into a single point [just simply write down the apparent theme of it]

3. FOR SUMMARY WRITING: check and include all the points u noted down earlier.....try to change the nouns, verbs or adjective as much as possible so that it doesn't match the passage [if possible change the structure of sentence e.g. passive to active] |