• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

help in M1!

Reaction score
hey guys! can anyone help me solve M1 2009 January Q5 and provide me with an explanation? i really dont get it!:oops:

Reaction score
heres the link:
http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A Level/Maths/Edexcel/2009 Jan
a ) draw the normal (perpendicular to the plane )
the weight (downward )
the PN force which is already given

b) i) first find the value of the angle
Tan A =3/4 >>>> A = 36.8
now there is 2 ways .. i guess whats easier is to resolve the normal force vertically and horizontally (since the for PN acting horizontally & the weight Vertically downward )
and as we know Normal force = MF ( M stands for the coefficient of friction ) (F > force )
resolving Vertically >>>>> weight =normal force , since its in equilibrium
so MF cos 36.8 = 1.1g ................................ now this 36.8 is found by a rule , i will try and explain it if you have trouble in it just let me know !
0.5Fcos36.8 = 1.1g
F = 26.93 N

ii ) here you will resolve the normal force too but this time horizontally !
MFsin36.8 =P
0.5(26.93)(sin36.8) = P
& find it !

thats all !

Reaction score
a ) draw the normal (perpendicular to the plane )
the weight (downward )
the PN force which is already given

b) i) first find the value of the angle
Tan A =3/4 >>>> A = 36.8
now there is 2 ways .. i guess whats easier is to resolve the normal force vertically and horizontally (since the for PN acting horizontally & the weight Vertically downward )
and as we know Normal force = MF ( M stands for the coefficient of friction ) (F > force )
resolving Vertically >>>>> weight =normal force , since its in equilibrium
so MF cos 36.8 = 1.1g ................................ now this 36.8 is found by a rule , i will try and explain it if you have trouble in it just let me know !
0.5Fcos36.8 = 1.1g
F = 26.93 N

ii ) here you will resolve the normal force too but this time horizontally !
MFsin36.8 =P
0.5(26.93)(sin36.8) = P
& find it !

thats all !

hiya! thnx 4 the help but the answer as in the marking scheme for F is 9.8 N and not 26.93 N? but thnx 4 trying