• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HELP IN UNCERTAINTY QUESTION PLSSSSSS! AS level physics. Simple if you know it!

Reaction score
A student measures the wavelength of waves in a ripples tank using a metre rule which is graduatd in millimetres. Estimate the uncertainty in the measurement.
Can you explain your answer plsss

Reaction score
Uncertainty is the half of the smallest unit on the apparatus being used...
In this question, the smallest unit is the millimeter, so half a millimeter is your uncertainty - but state it in the form of a meter
so it's going to be:-
(your answer) + or - 0.5 x 10^-3 m

Reaction score
are you sure its 1/2 the smallest division? because we do that when we are measuring sumthing twice(like in a burette), in this case shouln't we use only the smallest division which we can detect????

Reaction score
Hey can you look at pg 46 of the file I have uploaded. The part where it says (The percentage uncertainty in the length is 0.34%) They are using 1mm. How come??? Like you said shouln't it be half the smallest division??

Attachments

• BEST practical Guide.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
It should be, but if you're taking 2 readings the uncertainty multiplies.
the first reading is when you're placing your zero at the edge of what you're measuring (+ or - 0.5mm) and the next is the reading you're taking (+ or - 0.5mm)
add them together and you get ( + or - 1mm)

Reaction score
your guide says "If single readings have been taken then the uncertainty should be the smallest interval or division
on the measuring instrument. Consider the example below." clearly emphasizing on the "single" - in a ruler you take two readings :)

Reaction score
I thiink this question's answer will clear my doubt. What is the smallest division in a metre rule? .5mm or 1mm?