• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help needed regarding Subject Selection

Reaction score
Hi, I am an o level student, and about to appear in Maths and Sociology in coming October/November session as i am dropping Chemistry and wanted help regarding subject selection that can i take Sociology instead of Chemistry?, as then my subject combination would be English,Maths,Physics,Computer and Sociology and i m not interested in Chemistry.Secondly i needed information regarding that will software,hardware engineering,computer sciences and graphic designing fields still be opened for me if i drop chemistry as mainly i am interested in computer field and moreover which fields of engineering would be closed for me.Moreover, i heard that it would create problems if I further want to pursue my studies in Pakistan,so that isn't a problem as i will further study after completing my o levels in US College and University,so then does it matter dropping Chemistry as i would be studying in US College and University or will the US Colleges and Universities also require Chemistry to study in computer fields? Thanks for help :)

Reaction score
Hi, I am an o level student, and about to appear in Maths and Sociology in coming October/November session as i am dropping Chemistry and wanted help regarding subject selection that can i take Sociology instead of Chemistry?, as then my subject combination would be English,Maths,Physics,Computer and Sociology and i m not interested in Chemistry.Secondly i needed information regarding that will software,hardware engineering,computer sciences and graphic designing fields still be opened for me if i drop chemistry as mainly i am interested in computer field and moreover which fields of engineering would be closed for me.Moreover, i heard that it would create problems if I further want to pursue my studies in Pakistan,so that isn't a problem as i will further study after completing my o levels in US College and University,so then does it matter dropping Chemistry as i would be studying in US College and University or will the US Colleges and Universities also require Chemistry to study in computer fields? Thanks for help :)
it would create great problems in pakistan, your subject count is for one too low, how will you get IBCC? secondly without chemistry only and only computer science might be left for you, the only fields i can say for sure that does not need chemistry is telecommunication and software engineering still without ibcc u stand nowhere
foreign studies are quite expensive and hence for many impossible without scholarship and for that i think 5 subjects may not come even close to consideration

Reaction score
don't even think of dropping chemistry. In order to apply in US, it is mandatory to sit for 3 subjects in Sat2. There is no Computer in Sat2. So the best Sat2 subject combination for engineering is phy,chem and maths level 2.

Reaction score
Well not only 5 Subjects, I have also given Pakistan Studies,Islamiyat and Urdu.Secondly according to my knowledge for US College admission in computer fields only Maths,Physics and Computer and Sat1 are required and i m taking sociology instead of chemistry so how come Chemistry is required as it isn't even concerned with computer fields?

Reaction score
i
Well not only 5 Subjects, I have also given Pakistan Studies,Islamiyat and Urdu.Secondly according to my knowledge for US College admission in computer fields only Maths,Physics and Computer and Sat1 are required and i m taking sociology instead of chemistry so how come Chemistry is required as it isn't even concerned with computer fields?
i completely agree u... those who say that u need three diffrnt subjects in sat actually sat 1 with engliah n math is sufficient in most cases. that as whole calles sat reasoning test. If you are seriously considering studying in us and u have a complete guarantee fr that.. u may drop chemistry only then cuz in pak wherea i know they hardly acce;t such combinations. while in us u only need high grades in eng n math in o level , others are subject count n a good bonus fr u if u get high grades in thm .

Reaction score
and after leaving chemistry u wil still have many other engineering fields if u study in us. they include computers, aeronotics, mechtronics, elctrical, mechanical n so on.

Reaction score
Dude, I am telling you, if you want to get into an Ivy university, you need 3 sat 2 subjects. If your target is the medium ranked universities, forget about chem and drop it. :)

Reaction score
y
Dude, I am telling you, if you want to get into an Ivy university, you need 3 sat 2 subjects. If your target is the medium ranked universities, forget about chem and drop it. :)
eah i mean the same... most of the uni require sat reasoning est n nothing else n i guess i have mentioned the word 'most'

Reaction score
Thanks Master Mind and Monjur, well even if i don't study chemistry at o level and take chemistry in sat 2 just for test to gain admission then would it work or could i take any other subject instead of chemistry in sat 2 and get admission in good universities and do majority of universities require sat 2 chemistry?

Reaction score
Thanks Master Mind and Monjur, well even if i don't study chemistry at o level and take chemistry in sat 2 just for test to gain admission then would it work or could i take any other subject instead of chemistry in sat 2 and get admission in good universities and do majority of universities require sat 2 chemistry?
As far as I know, universities only require phy and maths and a third subject which can be according to your wish. You can find the complete list of sat 2 subjects on the collegeboard's website. So if you don't like chem you have the option to sit for another subject instead. Having said that, without chem your possible career paths will be narrowed down and you should keep chem unless you are 100% sure you study computer

Reaction score
and after leaving chemistry u wil still have many other engineering fields if u study in us. they include computers, aeronotics, mechtronics, elctrical, mechanical n so on.
well not exactly
mechanical and aeronautical both have a huge amount of chemistry in them also followed by electrical
only computers will be left

Reaction score
Well,will hardware engineering also be opened for me if i drop Chemistry?
computer hardware?
dont think so because it contains stuff like semiconductors etc. i think which comes under chemistry
whichever field which requires study of materials and making machinery from them, will be extremely difficult for you without chemistry :)

Reaction score
so are you sure hardware engineering requires chemistry?,Perhaps I don't think so.

Reaction score
so are you sure hardware engineering requires chemistry?,Perhaps I don't think so.
O level chemistry is a piece of cake. Stop whining and just take it bro. You won't like everything you study, sometimes you have to study against your will for a better career and future. Just think about it as a "compulsory" subject like English and start studying it!

Reaction score
well not exactly
mechanical and aeronautical both have a huge amount of chemistry in them also followed by electrical
only computers will be left
let me tell u that although i have no detailed knowledge of what skills are taught in mechanical, electrical etc. but what i have researched is that many universities in usa and some other countries require from you math and physics and another subject for engineereing. That other subject might be anything. Only if your field is directly linked with chemistry like Chemical or anything similar thn u might need to take chemistry. Even computer studies require only physics and math in some uni. Thats all what i know. U may consult any career counserler or websites like collegeboard and ucas .

Reaction score
Like Monjour said earlier, just take Chemistry. It's not difficult at all and with a little hard work, you can ace it. Sure you may not like studying it but at the expense of future career options, not being able to study in Pakistan and what not, it's better if you just get it over with. Computer on the other hand is piece of cake, you can give it as an additional subject. Remember: No pain, No gain