• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HELP! PK Studies

Reaction score
QHow Successful were british attempts to take over the subcontinent 1750-1850?14 marks
how to attempt

Reaction score
You will have to at least write about 6 or 7 factors in detail with no introduction or conclusion.
Just at the last mention the main cause after explaining all the causes.
look for the causes mentioned in your book in the given era, and explain them. I would have given the causes but i have forgot for it has been a year i have given the exam. However i will still try.

Reaction score
Do you have Nigel Kelly?
I am not sure but I think it goes like this:
(Go to page 16)
By early eighteenth century, the EIC had three main bases in Bombay, Calcutta and Madras. They had a war with Aurangzeb in 1686 and later, with other European nations, especially the French.
Then write about Battle of Plassey and Buxar and how Bengal was exploited. {Turn to page 18} Then write how about Act of Parliament and India act in few lines. After that, write about the treaty signed with Marathas, taking control of Mysore, Nawab of Outh were defeated and forced to grant large pieces of lands, Forcing Shah Alam to accept that he was ruling under British protection. And finally defeating Marathas.
Then in detail write about annexation of Sindh, Punjab and North West Frontier. Lastly write doctorine of Lapse.
Lastly, mention the weaknesses of India and the Strength of British in few lines.

(I just gave you the points ok? Do you want me to write a complete answer? And friends, please tell me if I have missed something. Thanks. ;))

Reaction score
In this type of Question you have to write success and failures then success then failure and in the end give your opinion. then you'll score 14/14

Reaction score
it's correct but there are few Failures of British in your answer !! we have to explain them!!

Reaction score
Failures of British? :S
I referred to Nigel Kelly for this answer and there isn't a single point about Failures of British... :S

Reaction score
Well here are the failures
-Early success of Ali Hyder( father of Tipu Sultan) who defeated the British twice!
-British unable to defeat Ranjit Singh.
-British expedition to Afghanistan !! total failure!