• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help required regarding SHEAR FACTOR

Reaction score
When is the shear factor supposed to be a negative value? I solved a question in paper 4 and the shear factor turned out to be 1, according to my solving, but then I found out in the mark scheme that it's a -1.
Can anybody volunteer to help me? Please and thank you!

Reaction score
well u basically need to use the formula of scale factor of shear which is distance from image to invariant line/distance form object and image.while counting the distance on the graph bear in mind the fact that going up and right are positive values and mind downwards and to the left are positive values.the answer is negative as it was 4/-4

Reaction score
When the distance is to the left = number will be -ve
when it's to the right = the number will be +ve
when it's upwards = it will be +ve
when it's downwards = it will be -ve

Hope that helped. :) Good luck tomorrow, hopefully we'll do great, iA. (y)

Reaction score
well u basically need to use the formula of scale factor of shear which is distance from image to invariant line/distance form object and image.while counting the distance on the graph bear in mind the fact that going up and right are positive values and mind downwards and to the left are positive values.the answer is negative as it was 4/-4
Thank you so much for your help :D I really appraciate it ^.^
When the distance is to the left = number will be -ve
when it's to the right = the number will be +ve
when it's upwards = it will be +ve
when it's downwards = it will be -ve

Hope that helped. :) Good luck tomorrow, hopefully we'll do great, iA. (y)
Thank you so much. Your help is extremely appreciated. Good luck for you, too! In Shaa Allah we'll ace it! :D