• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

hey guyz ! unit 3 bio discussion , doubts in here !!

Reaction score
okay... its basically this...
cut off the root tips, put them on a watch glass with ethanol on it n leave it for 12 hrs....
Next put them in cold water and dry wid filter paper
put in warm HCl
repeat till they are soft...
transfer to a slide. break with mounted needle..... add a drop of stain (either one)
Cover with cover slip, blot and squash
View under microscope.... chromosomes will be blue if u used toluidene blue or red if u used acetic orcein
crudely put.... dats it :p

hahah much better ! =p =p wats blotting though ?

Reaction score
this one is using Toluidine Blue
1) Cut off 1-2 cm from several root tips of some growing garlic roots. Choose tips which are white and have a firm rounded end. Brown ones give poor results.
2) Put the root tips into a hollow glass block or a small sample tube containing 2cm3 1M hydrochloric acid for exactly 5 mins.
3) Transfer the root tips to a watch glass containing approx. 5cm3 cold water. Leave for 4-5 mins. then dry on filter paper. Handle the root tips gently as they will be fragile.
4) Transfer one of the root tips to a clean microscope slide. Cut about 4-5mm from the growing tip. Keep the rounded tip and discard the rest. The meristem tip is usually a denser white and more rounded than the cut end. If u take the wrong end, the presence of xylem will make maceration more difficult.
5) Gently break the root tip with a mounted needle (this is called maceration). Add one small drop of toludine blue and leave to stain for 2 mins.
6) Cover with a coverslip and blot firmly with several layers of tissue or filter paper. Press gently to spread the root tip, or tap gently the coverslip with the back of the pencil.
7) View under microscope (x 400 magnification) and look for cells containing chromosomes. If cells are overlapping, squash the slide between two wads of filter paper. Avoid lateral movement of coverslip.
8) Look for regularly shaped, actively dividing cells. DNA stains dark blue with toludine blue stain so you should be able to see blue groups of chromosomes against pale blue background.
9) If your preparation is not very successful, repeat with some of the other root tips from step 3). Try to adjust your procedure to remedy the problem; for example, if your cells are over- or understained, adjust the time they are left in the stain.
Godh ma teacher didnt say a word about dis all! :O Thankx a lol buddy :D

Reaction score
why i feel like am barely gettin a thing ! =L
sorry! i'll be clearer...

Orcein itself if used as a stain needs to be reacted with Acetic acid to give acetic orcein...
But u can directly use Acetic Orcein if available n u wont need the reaction step ;)

Reaction score
sorry! i'll be clearer...

Orcein itself if used as a stain needs to be reacted with Acetic acid to give acetic orcein...
But u can directly use Acetic Orcein if available n u wont need the reaction step ;)

oh no its not you !
its me i cant help gettin any info in my frkn mind !!

ya thx =p !
so same steps one with toloudine the other with acetic orcien !
thanks =p

Reaction score
oh no its not you !
its me i cant help gettin any info in my frkn mind !!

ya thx =p !
so same steps one with toloudine the other with acetic orcien !
thanks =p
haha no its ok ;) last minuite chills.. m already having dem n TEN days to go >.<

welx ;)

Reaction score
But these experiments have been there in previous years I doubt they will come again Jus saying

Reaction score
But these experiments have been there in previous years I doubt they will come again Jus saying
dont rely on dat please... it DOESNT work dat way... u can even get the same experiment on the theory as well as the ATP paper... its a risk if u try 2 look for this type of pattern in ATPs especially... i suggest u do everything ;)

Reaction score
Obv I aint relyin on that :p I hve Gone throu evrythin :D:D:D
Btw do you noe what to write if they ask to comment on the validity of the result ?

Reaction score
ummm hey wat bout the totipotency experiment do we need to know anythin regardin strilizing using
(chlorate (I) solution Bleach)