• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How CIE calculate the curve

Reaction score
Guys sorry for butting in your science conversation but what do you expect the GT for english as a second language (V1) to be??
I think i screwed up pretty bad, if i lost 20 marks can i still get an A*?? :(

Reaction score
Guys sorry for butting in your science conversation but what do you expect the GT for english as a second language (V1) to be??
I think i screwed up pretty bad, if i lost 20 marks can i still get an A*?? :(

assuming you got
the english mark is out of 100

so (64/84 x70)+(32/36 x 30) = 79.9 or 80

so you got an A bro according to o/n 2011 check other curves and see this year might be low :)

Reaction score
guys chemistry 154-158 ? do you think the curve will be low enough to an A* with those grades ? :S im really worried i dunno what got into me i did very good in all subject and suddenly on chemistry i became lazy didnt study enough and had panicked a bit and im worried cause many said the paper was easy ? what do you think
i knw it was 130-140's these last couple of years but im just worried about this years curve

Reaction score
guys chemistry 154-158 ? do you think the curve will be low enough to an A* with those grades ? :S im really worried i dunno what got into me i did very good in all subject and suddenly on chemistry i became lazy didnt study enough and had panicked a bit and im worried cause many said the paper was easy ? what do you think
i knw it was 130-140's these last couple of years but im just worried about this years curve

don't worry man not everyone who says they did good it is true and besides some people think of good is " 50/80" which is bad for me :) .. and looking at our papers the paper was more difficult than other papers :)

and actually there are people who LIE about there grades and there ANSWERS so like all the other years this will be LOW

Reaction score
If you do get 154/180 yeah that's an A* regardless if the curve was a bit higher
I averaged around 156-158/180 last year when I calculated how many marks I lost in chemistry
and still pulled off an A*
Just concentrate on P1, you're still in this game buddy =P

Reaction score
If you do get 154/180 yeah that's an A* regardless if the curve was a bit higher
I averaged around 156-158/180 last year when I calculated how many marks I lost in chemistry
and still pulled off an A*
Just concentrate on P1, you're still in this game buddy =P
Yaa im gonna work hard for this one i usually get very high marks chemistry but this exam something got into me :) anyway thanks a lot

Reaction score
assuming you got
the english mark is out of 100

so (64/84 x70)+(32/36 x 30) = 79.9 or 80

so you got an A bro according to o/n 2011 check other curves and see this year might be low :)
thats like -24 marks, what if i got 69/84 in paper 2 and 30/36 in paper 4?
sorry if im being a bother :(

Reaction score
thats like -24 marks, what if i got 69/84 in paper 2 and 30/36 in paper 4?
sorry if im being a bother :(

that is 82.5 in some years that was an A* yes :)
if you got 70/84 and 31/36 that is an A* for sure :)

Reaction score
hah i got B in paper 1 Bio and still got A* thank God :p But im pretty sure i aced my paper 3-6
do u know the % for an A* last year? because its not the same as the one on xtremepapers. like last year i got 78% in maths and got a B but on according to the grade boundaries on xtremepapers i got an A :O so what was an A* for bio last year?

Reaction score
do u know the % for an A* last year? because its not the same as the one on xtremepapers. like last year i got 78% in maths and got a B but on according to the grade boundaries on xtremepapers i got an A :O so what was an A* for bio last year?
erm well my components were 11-31-61 .. the A* was from 67% XD

Reaction score
Well, I have been reviewing quite a lot of threads and come to an opinion that these thresholds are not true... :cry:.. I mean I am not sure, it would not be professional to mislead us with incorrect grade thresholds that some what put us at ease... Obviously the CIE is one of the most reputed exam center and shall not do so... but...(n)... I myself am completely dependent on the GT... Someone who is absolutely certain of what's right, PLEASE REPLY :(

Reaction score
Well, I have been reviewing quite a lot of threads and come to an opinion that these thresholds are not true... :cry:.. I mean I am not sure, it would not be professional to mislead us with incorrect grade thresholds that some what put us at ease... Obviously the CIE is one of the most reputed exam center and shall not do so... but...(n)... I myself am completely dependent on the GT... Someone who is absolutely certain of what's right, PLEASE REPLY :(
what i think is the grade thresholds is what cie think an A should be then they see how well people did in that year recalculate the curve...but this is only my theory...