• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How to attempt Pakistan Studies 4, 7 and 14 mark questions?

Reaction score
Hey guys can you please answer the following questions:
1. Is it correct that for a 4 mark answer you need 4 points, 7 mark answer is three levels the first level is a simplistic statement, second level is either background or identification of points/reasons and level 3 is explanation of these points/reasons and conclusion. And 14 mark has five levels: level one is simplistic statement, level two is background, level 3 is identification of reasons, level four is explanation and level five is conclusion? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Give me extra tips to achieve A* please!

3. Are you supposed to highlight important points in your answer by underlining them?

4. I'm studying for Nigel Kelly's book and also Farooq Bajwa's. Is this enough?

5. The igcse Pak studies syllabus does not include the Mughal Empire or anything before the decline and fall of the empire right?

6. Which should I pay most attention to? Section 1, 2 or 3?

7. Any extra tips please.

Please help me especially in number 1! Thank you. :)

Reaction score
You are correct about....nearly everything :)
The levels are not about HOW u should write(a common misconception).Levels actually show how many marks would u get if u wrote upto that particular level.....like if u only wrote the simplistic statement and left the rest...you will get 1 mark, just like this if you continued your answer upto reasons u'll get more marks, get it?? :)
So in a 4 marks question try to write atleast 4 valid points or more....I would recommend 5 (keep 1 for any error u might make in that question).
For 7 marks.....you already know everything :)
For 14 marks the main levels are the simplistic statement, background(not too long),reasons(no need to identify reasons and explain them in different paragraphs) and the judgement(not more than 3 lines).
Follow these ^ and you'll Insha Allah Ace it ;)

Reaction score
DoNOT underline ANYTHING.....no need to highlight points.
You can judge your preparations through past papers.
You are right about point (5)
(6)Well it depends....have you prepared sec3?If not, then read sec 1 & 2 very thoroughly.If u have prepared sec 3 as well then give all sections equal attention.
Extra tips: DONT freak out if you think a question is hard :) ....don't get stuck on it and let it leach you of your precious time, leave it for later and move on.
Every second counts in the examination hall.I hope I was of some help to u :D

Reaction score
DoNOT underline ANYTHING.....no need to highlight points.
You can judge your preparations through past papers.
You are right about point (5)
(6)Well it depends....have you prepared sec3?If not, then read sec 1 & 2 very thoroughly.If u have prepared sec 3 as well then give all sections equal attention.
Extra tips: DONT freak out if you think a question is hard :) ....don't get stuck on it and let it leach you of your precious time, leave it for later and move on.
Every second counts in the examination hall.I hope I was of some help to u :D
Haha I've been blessed with a great helper like you. Thank you so much you have no idea how much you helped me. Btw about the 4 marks question, that's a great idea. 5 points it is then. And can you also give me an example (if u have time) about a 4 mark q and what type of points to put in the answer? Ok so 7 mark is what I said and 14 marks alright I get it :D thanks for explaining the level thing properly. Phew.

Right so, NO underlining. And yes I've prepared sec 3 kinda. So I'll give equal attention to all. Thank you for the awesome extra tip. :)

Yes you were of great help to me haha. Btw did u get A*s?

Reaction score
I'm kinda out of practice :cautious: ,u know it's been a while since I last looked at history....but I can tell u that it is VERY important to include dates in a 4 mark question.
Q)What was the issue of the greased cartridges?
Ans:1)What it actually was (a disagreement between the sepoys and British to use the cartridges of enfield rifles which were greased with cow/pig fat)
2)When it occured (in 1858 I think :unsure:)
3)Why it occured (due to religous reasons)
4)What it caused (The War of Independence, it was one of the immediate causes)
I hope I was clear enough.
And I did get A*s in both, Islamiat and pak studies.(You'll get it too, don't worry)
Thanks alot for the appreciation :D.I'd be happy to help if u have any other questions...

Reaction score
I want to know how shuld v attempt questions 7 n 14 marks, like for 7 marks shuld i simply write firstly, secondly, thirdly.... and expalin 3 reasons in 3 paras or v shuld first in 1st para write simple statemnt, identification of reasons in 2nd n explaination in 3rd para? wich approach is rite? these r 2 diffrnt ways told by 2 diffrnt teachr... wich shuld i use?

Reaction score
I want to know how shuld v attempt questions 7 n 14 marks, like for 7 marks shuld i simply write firstly, secondly, thirdly.... and expalin 3 reasons in 3 paras or v shuld first in 1st para write simple statemnt, identification of reasons in 2nd n explaination in 3rd para? wich approach is rite? these r 2 diffrnt ways told by 2 diffrnt teachr... wich shuld i use?
I am givin paper in oct so i am be of help to u.
Well starting with 7 marks question ,u need to give 3 reasons and then explain them relating to question.You can write firstly,secondly and third reasons in three separate paragraphs and explain them or .Well i dont think it is right to write simplistic statement in one separate para..this simplistic statement should be written at start of each paragraph for example,why did quit cripps mission failed?
1-Jinnah opposed it
2.congress rejected it
3.british negotiating from weaker position.
These are just reasons u need to explain each of them how each contributed to failure of cripps mission,there is no need to write simple statement in first separate paragraph.For some questions there are only 2 reasons u find out so u need to write 2 reasons and explain in 2 paragraphs.

For 14 marks,there is no need of background or any introductory separate paragraph ..Start direct with reason given in question only u need to give simplistic state and give little background if necessary e.g for questions like this was lucknow pact was most important attempt in seeking solution between 1909 to 1919? u can state only that it resulted due to cooperation between congress and muslims in 1916 or british failed to grant more rights to india during first world war so it resulted in lucknow pact etc and then explain it according to question ,its importance etc..and then made second para and third ..to gain full marks u need to give 3 reasons and explanation in 3 separate paragraphs + conclusion so total 4 paragraph..And for some questions like reasons for decline of mughal empire u can give upto 4 factors and conclusion so total of 5 paragraphs are enough... .. give conclusion of 3 to 4 lines like this ..in final analysis,we conclude...I hope it would help and best of luck for exams,

Reaction score
I'm kinda out of practice :cautious: ,u know it's been a while since I last looked at history....but I can tell u that it is VERY important to include dates in a 4 mark question.
Q)What was the issue of the greased cartridges?
Ans:1)What it actually was (a disagreement between the sepoys and British to use the cartridges of enfield rifles which were greased with cow/pig fat)
2)When it occured (in 1858 I think :unsure:)
3)Why it occured (due to religous reasons)
4)What it caused (The War of Independence, it was one of the immediate causes)
I hope I was clear enough.
And I did get A*s in both, Islamiat and pak studies.(You'll get it too, don't worry)
Thanks alot for the appreciation :D.I'd be happy to help if u have any other questions...
Riiiight so dates huh. Well thanks for the example. Btw the greased cartridges incident happened in 1857 dude the war happened in 1857 so obviously this happened before :)
Thanks for clearing that out! Btw how old are you and which year did u give your exams in?

Will do! :D I'm glad to have found someone who helps so much.

Reaction score
Well starting with 7 marks question ,u need to give 3 reasons and then explain them relating to question.You can write firstly,secondly and third reasons in three separate paragraphs and explain them or .Well i dont think it is right to write simplistic statement in one separate para..this simplistic statement should be written at start of each paragraph for example,why did quit cripps mission failed?
1-Jinnah opposed it
2.congress rejected it
These are just reasons u need to explain each of them how each contributed to failure of cripps mission,there is no need to write simple statement in first separate paragraph.For some questions there are only 2 reasons u find out so u need to write 2 reasons and explain in 2 paragraphs.

For 14 marks,there is no need of background or any introductory separate paragraph ..Start direct with reason given in question only u need to give simplistic state and give little background if necessary e.g for questions like this was lucknow pact was most important attempt in seeking solution between 1909 to 1919? u can state only that it resulted due to cooperation between congress and muslims in 1916 or british failed to grant more rights to india during first world war so it resulted in lucknow pact etc and then explain it according to question ,its importance etc..and then made second para and third ..to gain full marks u need to give 3 reasons and explanation in 3 separate paragraphs + conclusion so total 4 paragraph..And for some questions like reasons for decline of mughal empire u can give upto 4 factors and conclusion so total of 5 paragraphs are enough... .. give conclusion of 3 to 4 lines like this ..in final analysis,we conclude...I hope it would help and best of luck for exams,
Thanks for the detailed answer. But level 2 in 14 mark questions is background... So I think it's important. Btw do you know any expected topics which u or your teacher thinks may come in the exam? :)

Reaction score
Both ways are fine....u just have to deliver the right matter.(paragraphing is important)

Reaction score
Riiiight so dates huh. Well thanks for the example. Btw the greased cartridges incident happened in 1857 dude the war happened in 1857 so obviously this happened before :)
Thanks for clearing that out! Btw how old are you and which year did u give your exams in?

Will do! :D I'm glad to have found someone who helps so much.
Well I did say I was out of practice :) .....I gave these papers this year (I told you I had to bear through the leaks ;) )
I'm 16 btw :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed answer. But level 2 in 14 mark questions is background... So I think it's important. Btw do you know any expected topics which u or your teacher thinks may come in the exam? :)
DO NOT leave out the background.It is definitely important.One does not simply start a 14 mark question with reasons :D
And I can tell u what's UNimportant :) ....languages,(came in the leaked paper as well as the retest), Sir syed(came in the retest),mughal empire(important) , RTCs(important), events from 1905 to 1919(important).In geo climate is unimportant.....but importants are useless ....a student aiming for distinction should not deem these worthy of his/her time ;)

Reaction score
Languages are very important..as are syllabus say history and culture of pakistan ergo only languages are part of culture so examiner will give it in every paper..they will also come this time..

Reaction score
1-Jinnah opposed it
2.congress rejected it

Both ways are fine....u just have to deliver the right matter.(paragraphing is important)

thnx a lot both of u :) solved my problem well ;)

Reaction score
Languages are very important..as are syllabus say history and culture of pakistan ergo only languages are part of culture so examiner will give it in every paper..they will also come this time..
Maybe......but as I said, Importants are useless :)

Reaction score
DO NOT leave out the background.It is definitely important.One does not simply start a 14 mark question with reasons :D
And I can tell u what's UNimportant :) ....languages,(came in the leaked paper as well as the retest), Sir syed(came in the retest),mughal empire(important) , RTCs(important), events from 1905 to 1919(important).In geo climate is unimportant.....but importants are useless ....a student aiming for distinction should not deem these worthy of his/her time ;)
Haha thanks xD and yeah so I'll not study languages that much