• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how to prepare for english paper ... ?

Reaction score
hey guys can anyone of u please tell me how to prepare for gce english language , i want a detailed explanation of from where to prepare .... i m giving the paper in oct/nov session and i m really tensed ..... any sort of help would be deeply appreciated .. :)

Reaction score
Salam
Well u have to prepare for it the whole year... u cannot learn the entire dictionsry, nor LEARN the skill and flow of writing on the very last night ...

My advice to u
pick up a decent novel of your genre... start reading it ... read a few pages daily and note down the vocabulary and expressions as u move on .. meanwhile, at every weekend write up a composition on a past paper question and try to use your noted vocabulary and expressions ... get it checked from the teacher so he can check your style,fluency, grammar and sentence structure....

For comprehension , go for the past papers .. and solve as much as you can IN YOUR OWN WORDS AND IN LIMITED NUMBER OF WORDS/LINES.

Reaction score
well do reading. books, newspapers..understand the format and the paper pattern via syllabus. improve your grammar. try to express ideas openly in your writing. practice comprehensions.

Reaction score
Salam
Well u have to prepare for it the whole year... u cannot learn the entire dictionsry, nor LEARN the skill and flow of writing on the very last night ...

My advice to u
pick up a decent novel of your genre... start reading it ... read a few pages daily and note down the vocabulary and expressions as u move on .. meanwhile, at every weekend write up a composition on a past paper question and try to use your noted vocabulary and expressions ... get it checked from the teacher so he can check your style,fluency, grammar and sentence structure....

For comprehension , go for the past papers .. and solve as much as you can IN YOUR OWN WORDS AND IN LIMITED NUMBER OF WORDS/LINES.
Thank you BRO!good advice

Reaction score
hey guys can anyone of u please tell me how to prepare for gce english language , i want a detailed explanation of from where to prepare .... i m giving the paper in oct/nov session and i m really tensed ..... any sort of help would be deeply appreciated .. :)
English needs full attention; many students skip it or dunt give it dat level of importance due to other subjects.first thing that students for english MUST do is acknowledge that which type of writing they r best at: is it argumentative, discursive, descriptive, narrative? u must b able to write any but get a grip on one. Mostly it is suggested to opt for narrative cz that gives u a chance to experiment wid ur writing style. it gives u a wider margin to write and be creative and hence get more marks.

I'll advise that buy English Revision Guide. Read it carefully and follow the steps and tasks that it ask u to do. Do not ignore its practice. Wherever it says, write-----, u got to write that! it will help.

next u need to learn some good vocab words. u can do that by reading english newspaper. Get a standard english newspaper every day and read a few articles of ur interest. note down the new vocab words, look up their meanings and try writing at least 2 sentences on them. u'll note that by writing sentences, it will b easier to memorize those words. now its very essential that u really understand the words' definitions. in ur exam, dunt just fit in words cz they sound or seem right. cz again too much hard words will tell the examiner that u r trying to show them that u no a lot of words nd that dznt leave a good impression.

Wen reading newspaper/novel u r not just focusing on the story, u have to focus on the sentence structure, vocab words, dialogue writing and other technical things. remember that u r reading that english piece of writing to learn composition techniques. !

u still hv sum time so write a story once every 3 days. be self critical. if u hv sum one elder whose good at english, take his help and request him to check ur work.
another important thing is that plan sum story plots, just random. cz it always happens dat a title cums in which ur already planned story sum how fits
most of ur questions and queries will b answered by Revision guide cz its a very gud buk. um anything else? :)

Reaction score
thank u very much ................. ur help was of great benifit for me :), and nothing else i believe u've already helped me alot ;)

Reaction score
i'd suggest you to buy the book challenging essays for o level...
really awesome stuff in there...!

Reaction score
Hello.
English, like all other languages, requires practice, practice and more practice. Since the exams are very close, I'm assuming you've already gone through a fair amount of Past Papers. I believe the use of good vocabulary is quite essential to achieving an A*, hence how about you go through the dictionary and learn some new words, also go though magazines or novels, so that you have better hold on the structural end. While attempting the paper, be careful at choosing the words. Attentively check the grammar, sentence structure, tenses etc, as these seem to irritate the examiner's a lot.
Good Luck. :)

P.S Do not exceed the word limit given for the essay's etc, the examiner's do notice!