• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was chem p34

Reaction score
Guys I'm freaking out.. At my centre everyone including the teacher got the titre value around 7.00 cm3...!! How will that affect the marks?!

Reaction score
Guys I'm freaking out.. At my centre everyone including the teacher got the titre value around 7.00 cm3...!! How will that affect the marks?!
I am not a chem guy but that 7 cm3 is wrong,i have taken many practical but never got 7 as my reading ,you usually get 22 to 27 reading what were your reading if it is around 23-27 it might be correct but don't worry mine were also wrong it is 3 or 4 marks chill nig

Reaction score
hey guys you wont believe but almost all of my friends got titre volume less than 10 and i got around 12.8... how is that possible??? :( :( :( i mean how so many candidates do the same mistake. And if we are wrong then how much marks we will lose??? And in test of ions was ammonia gas released, i smelled it! its smell is ugh! Please help help help!!! please share ur salt analysis tests.

Reaction score
Wat were the ions in the last question??
Q.3) Salt Analysis
  • Cation in FB4 = Manganese (II)
  • Anion in FB4 = Chloride
  • Suggested cations in FB5 = Magnesium or Aluminium
  • Suggested anions in FB5 = Sulfate or Sulfite
  • Cation in FB5 = Magnesium (II)
  • Cations in FB6 = Ammonium and Iron (III)

Reaction score
hey guys you wont believe but almost all of my friends got titre volume less than 10 and i got around 12.8... how is that possible??? :( :( :( i mean how so many candidates do the same mistake. And if we are wrong then how much marks we will lose??? And in test of ions was ammonia gas released, i smelled it! its smell is ugh! Please help help help!!! please share ur salt analysis tests.
You may lose 3-4 marks, how the titre value is too low? with HCl (FB2) in burette, 25 cm3 Ammonia in conical flask with 3 drops of methyl orange, the value was 7-12 cm3?
Q.3) Salt Analysis
Examiner didn't ask to test for gas

Reaction score
Okay, so suppose I got the one of the observations of FB4 and FB5 mixed up (where we got the result for Chloride), will i get ecf marks for writing Chloride with FB5 instead?

Reaction score
Okay, so suppose I got the one of the observations of FB4 and FB5 mixed up (where we got the result for Chloride), will i get ecf marks for writing Chloride with FB5 instead?
I don't think so as observation would be wrong so writing Chloride in FB5 will be incorrect

Reaction score
Q.1) Titration
  • At my centre, supervisor's titre value = 26.00 cm3
  • My mean titre value (Volume of FB2 used) = 26.25 cm3
Q.2) Enthalpy change
  • Temperature fall in 1st experiment = 8.0 °C
  • Temperature fall in 2nd experiment = 13.0 °C
  • Mean temperature fall = 10.5 °C
  • Enthalpy change of solution = +14.7 kJ/mol
  • 1st Experiment had greater % error because smaller mass was used.
  • % error = 6.25%
Q.3) Salt Analysis

Almost spot on. :sneaky:

Didn't asked for titre value from my supervisor but I had got 22.03.

Just didn't wrote NH4 in FB6 instead wrote SO4 lol. Gonna loose 3-4 for accuracy overall and 3 surely for 3 (1marks) questions I didn't attempted. Other then that, all good.

Reaction score
Almost spot on. :sneaky:

Didn't asked for titre value from my supervisor but I had got 22.03.

Just didn't wrote NH4 in FB6 instead wrote SO4 lol. Gonna loose 3-4 for accuracy overall and 3 surely for 3 (1marks) questions I didn't attempted. Other then that, all good.
The anion present in FB6 was SO4^2- , examiner asked the two cations in FB6

Reaction score
i made a silly mistake guys...
the second table asked for a reagent for identifying "cation"
i don't know what happened and i just identified b/w sulfate and sulfite by using HCL and observe if gas produced no gas produced and i wrote "sulfate"
all 3 marks gone or will it be ecf for considering wrong ions?

Reaction score
i made a silly mistake guys...
the second table asked for a reagent for identifying "cation"
i don't know what happened and i just identified b/w sulfate and sulfite by using HCL and observe if gas produced no gas produced and i wrote "sulfate"
all 3 marks gone or will it be ecf for considering wrong ions?
The reagent was NaOH (aq) , oh how can you mess up cation with anion? very silly mistake :/

Reaction score
How did you calculate the percentage difference between the concentrations in the first question?
The correct method of calculating % difference = Percentage difference equals the absolute value of the change in value (difference between 2 values), divided by the average of the 2 numbers, all multiplied by 100. In that part 2 numbers were 15 and 9.35 or your calculated conc., I calculated 38% (using 9.35) which I think is wrong according to above formula. It should be 5.65/12.175 X 100 = 46%

Reaction score
They asked for 2 anions na? so you had to say so4 and so3 (if you missed one, you'll lose 1 mark I guess)
Suggested anions in FB 5 were asked which were SO4 and SO3 and in FB 6, two cations were asked which were NH4 and Fe3+

Reaction score
Q.1) Titration
  • At my centre, supervisor's titre value = 26.00 cm3
  • My mean titre value (Volume of FB2 used) = 26.25 cm3
Q.2) Enthalpy change
  • Temperature fall in 1st experiment = 8.0 °C
  • Temperature fall in 2nd experiment = 13.0 °C
  • Mean temperature fall = 10.5 °C
  • Enthalpy change of solution = +14.7 kJ/mol
  • 1st Experiment had greater % error because smaller mass was used.
  • % error = 6.25%
Q.3) Salt Analysis
by supervisor, do you mean invigilator? Do the invigilator tell you the titre, Please explain it. I'll be appearing first time so it's very confusing for mem. Please reply

Reaction score
by supervisor, do you mean invigilator? Do the invigilator tell you the titre, Please explain it. I'll be appearing first time so it's very confusing for mem. Please reply
if your supervisor is a friendly person and not following rules. :p
my supervisor of chemistry told me almost every single answer of the practical exam, after exam.
And no supervisor is not an invigilator but a person (good teacher) who performs the practical exam with the apparatus that is provided to you and sends his results to CIE.
If your results are not around the values of the supervisor than you loose marks enough to lower your grade. Around 5 in chemistry are a lot of marks.

Reaction score
Abdul Hanan is right, Supervisor is not an invigilator , supervisor is the one who perform the experiment before exam and get all the readings. Our values should be very close to supervisor's values.