• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Chemistry P1/2

Reaction score
Copper(I) Chloride or Copper(II) Chloride? Copper(I) Chloride is an insoluble salt while Copper(II) Chloride is soluble so it depends.
And the salts formed could have been either Calcium Nitride or Calcium Nitrate. Both are correct.
I wrote Calcium Oxide.. cnt that be a option

Reaction score
Methanol was definitely correct - in my last 5 mins, I went through it again and again and I can assure you the structure was the very least correct.

H
I
H-C-OH
I
H

This is correct.

Reaction score
pentane one was D , the forces of attraction always contribute to the boiling point !!..

while the methanol mcq was A !! it was also confirmed by the last question in p2 :) !! they asked for a FULL structure of methanol it was wrong as a bond between O-H was missing :) !! got it >? !!

yup the addition reaction was the bromine one D !!

for the people who are arguing over mercury , and the arguements they are making are pointless like it is a metal and very good conductor i can't help them :D !! Mercury is a fair conductor of electricity as it is a liquid it can't conduct it the way other metals do plus it is a weak electrolyte :) !! as u can find it everywhere when u search :)! !! so it does conduct electricity but to a smaller extent and hence the light in the lamp glows dim :!)

hope it clarifies people doubts or else they can confirm that it was D from there respective teachers :)

Idk abt the methanol one.....D looked like a pretty good answer......sometimes the examiners themselves dnt include the bond between O and H...

And can someone PLEASE tell me the secret? How do u guys remember that, for example, Q37 was D and Q 15 was B etc etc (just using examples :D)

Reaction score
pentane one was D , the forces of attraction always contribute to the boiling point !!..

while the methanol mcq was A !! it was also confirmed by the last question in p2 :) !! they asked for a FULL structure of methanol it was wrong as a bond between O-H was missing :) !! got it >? !!

for the people who are arguing over mercury , and the arguements they are making are pointless like it is a metal and very good conductor i can't help them :D !! Mercury is a fair conductor of electricity as it is a liquid it can't conduct it the way other metals do plus it is a weak electrolyte :) !! as u can find it everywhere when u search :)! !! so it does conduct electricity but to a smaller extent and hence the light in the lamp glows dim :!)

hope it clarifies people doubts or else they can confirm that it was D from there respective teachers :)
dude....u seem smart.....so can u tell me how much marks will i get for the methanoic acid one....if i wrote eact it in air....with acidified potassium dichromate

Reaction score

Dnt u think that methanol is a covalent bonded substance n force of attraction refers to force between Ions.

Reaction score
dude....u seem smart.....so can u tell me how much marks will i get for the methanoic acid one....if i wrote eact it in air....with acidified potassium dichromate

thanku :D !! u might get 2 marks jus because of writing ACIDIFIED !! if the examiner takes it in account as acidic conditions :)

Reaction score
thanku :D !! u might get 2 marks jus because of writing ACIDIFIED !! if the examiner takes it in account as acidic conditions :)
ohhhh.......yeah thats wat i meant to say........so 1 mark for reaction in air.....and onw mark for acidic conditions ??

Reaction score
in covalent bonds electrons are shared ?? ryt ?? so there can be attractive forces between those and the nuclei can't it ? :p
SO why the Hell did they gave us a option for covalent bonds breaking ! :p ^ Avogadro Number .. Mr beeeloooo Mercury k sar par maat uroo....

Reaction score
I also think the MCQ regarding pentane's boiling point was option B i.e more covalent bonds have to be broken. Since down the homologous series melting/boiling points increase -> since the number of bonds increases -> hence more heat energy is needed to break the bonds.
As far as the methanol MCQ is concerned, beeloooo is correct - the bond between OH was missing hence it was not the FULL structural bonding of methanol. Option A i.e it can be further oxidized to methanoic acid was the correct answer.

Reaction score
SO why the Hell did they gave us a option for covalent bonds breaking ! :p ^ Avogadro Number .. Mr beeeloooo Mercury k sar par maat uroo....

Dude im only answering when i am sure about something ! chill i think i have proved with that link that i was ryt !! *PEACE* !! about the pentane one !!

Reaction score
First two answers were A.
Then D, then B.
What was Q5? If it was about what sand is then macromolecule, A.

Anyone remember next ?