• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS CHEMISTRY PAPER 22 ?

How did you find the paper ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Source : http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/carbonyls/oxidation.html

4th paragraph from top:

Because ketones don't have that particular hydrogen atom, they are resistant to oxidation. Only very strong oxidising agents like potassium manganate(VII) solution (potassium permanganate solution) oxidise ketones - and they do it in a destructive way, breaking carbon-carbon bonds.

I guess if chemguide says so, it must be reliable.
So the answer to the last part of the table is that it oxidizes the ketone, and the colour change is from purple to colourless
Only some particular forms of KMnO4 oxidise a ketone, and that's not specified in our syllabus. All we were supposed to do was to find if any alkene group was present. There wasn't any present, so there was no reaction. Infact, the last 2 were no reactions.

Reaction score
Examiners, Please be good to us! :(
See if we were supposed to write the color change, then we had to mention what compound would be made too. The compound wolud be weird, as the carbon hydrogen bonds are broken. That's not present anywhere in our syllabus. Don't worry, we'll get our mark for no reaction.:)

Reaction score
See if we were supposed to write the color change, then we had to mention what compound would be made too. The compound wolud be weird, as the carbon hydrogen bonds are broken. That's not present anywhere in our syllabus. Don't worry, we'll get our mark for no reaction.:)
I hope we do :)

Reaction score
Were they seven or 6? And please, CIE examiners that not that lenient that they'll give u straight marks for just writing a letter and a color change.
if the question asked us to write the letter and the colour change, then I guess thats what we had to do :p

Reaction score
the question said that the carbon atom chain should be unbranched. Did that mean that we had to show all the four carbon atoms in one single row in cis-trans isomerism?

Reaction score
I know I messed up my isomers, rest was good. Please tell me how much marks I'll get. I drew the following structures.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
the question said that the carbon atom chain should be unbranched. Did that mean that we had to show all the four carbon atoms in one single row in cis-trans isomerism?
Unbranched carbon chain was a characteristic of the structure of that compound we had to analyze.

Reaction score
U will get marks for identifying the isomers in the next part where their names were required.
Do you really think so? Acha will I get 1 mark for my cis isomer? It's pretty much the same if u rotate the molecules at 90 degrees around the double bond.

Reaction score
Do you really think so? Acha will I get 1 mark for my cis isomer? It's pretty much the same if u rotate the molecules at 90 degrees around the double bond.
Well im not so sure abt their marking but haan isomers ko name kerne ke i guess mileinge marks.