• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Igcse and O levels? What's the difference?

Reaction score
Salam Everyone,

Well, I dont really understand the difference between IGs and O LEVELS.. Can someone clarify me 'bout this? :?

Thanks.

Cheers!
Angelcharms-XD!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Both are actually the same things (ARE of same standard and same level), BUT IGCSE's syllabuses have been developed to support modern curriculum development and so is a new qualification when compared with O level.
-O level offers FEWER course works i.e subjects, than IGCSE.
- Other things such as Paper weight age and syllabus materials also vary

Reaction score
Ahan Nibz.. I get it! Thanks chum!

But is it like after IGs we should be heading for O levels? Am just so confused 'bout this! Eh!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
NO.
IGCSE is equivalent to O level so definitely u'l be heading for A level after doing your IGCSE.

Reaction score
Ok I get it! Thank you very much for your warm and kind explanation.

Allah be with you..

*Peace*
Angelcharms-XD!

Reaction score
IGCSE is for private schools. It is more likely to be the same as O level but their syllabus is a bit longer.
After IGCSE, they do International Baccalaureate and not A level. That's what I'll be doing next year. ;)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
really but i'm doing Alevel after doing IGCSE!! :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Shiki Misaki said:
IGCSE is for private schools. It is more likely to be the same as O level but their syllabus is a bit longer.
After IGCSE, they do International Baccalaureate and not A level. That's what I'll be doing next year. ;)

WRONG INFO BROTHER :|

Reaction score
Nibz said:
Shiki Misaki said:

WRONG INFO BROTHER :|

Here in Mauritius, there is no public school offering IGCSE; only private school. It may be different in your country. ;)

P.S: Ima girl. lol

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry Sister :)
That Phrase was for this STATEMENT "After IGCSE, they do International Baccalaureate and not A level. That's what I'll be doing next year"

Reaction score
It's okay. :) Do you have any idea about IB by the way? :S
During the holidays, dad and I are going to 'Le Bocage International School' to make my application and now I'm really in doubt. Some say that A level is much better than International Baccalaureate (IB) and some say the contrary. :S I really don't want to mess up my future. I found on the net that in UK, IB is regarded as 'more academically challenging' but once again, I'm not sure. :S Please help.

P.s: Sorry. I know it's off topic but only one post. :$

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Ammmm... quite a hard thing to decide.
IB and A level, both are good-as long as the knowledge is concerned. BUT to me, A-level is more recognizable.
I would suggest you to have a look at both the curricula- curriculum of IB and that of A level. As at the end of the day, your decision will be considered.
( + according to BBC News, some 87 UK schools have adopted the IB now)

P.S I've moved the topic to "Help, Ideas and Suggestions" so it's no longer Off Topic :)

TSZ

Reaction score
There is also another difference b/w o-lvl and igcse that in igcse paper you have a choice of giving two types of paper. one is core another is extended. the core paper is easy and a student is graded from grades C to G while the extended paper is graded from grades A* to E. The drawback of giving a core paper is that u cannot take that subject in your A-levels or in university.Another diffence is the english paper. if u take igcse english as a second language u not only give a theory paper but there is also a listening and speaking test. There is also eng. as a first lang. but i am not giving it so i dun know abt it. O-level does not have a listening and speaking paper.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
yeah and english olevel is i think harder...cus i guess essay is to be written around 600 words or smthng but for IGCSE it's 150-2000 words only!!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
If you take English As a First Language in IGCSE, then it's way more difficult than O level English.
And btw length does not matter at all.

MathAngel must be talking about English As a First language,,, cuz in First Language the esaay length is 350-500 words.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
for IGCSE engliish as 2nd language the length is abt 200 words!!but u know i guess it's difficult to score A*