• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Biology O/N/2017 Paper 62. Easy or Hard??

Reaction score
I did my IGCSE Resit of Biology Paper 62 O/N 2017 and quite frankly i found it very difficult. If anyone else has done it, please share your thoughts and experience. Thank You.

Reaction score
I did my IGCSE Resit of Biology Paper 62 O/N 2017 and quite frankly i found it very difficult. If anyone else has done it, please share your thoughts and experience. Thank You.
Yes I DID IT TOO! It indeed was a very hard paper, probably the hardest yet. The first question alone required at least 20 mins of your time to analyse and plot. The graph was confusing for me at first, I though the enzyme would denature and have a 0 rate of reaction but turns out its just a value <4.6. Overall the paper was difficult and i dont blame you for saying so. I really hope the thresholds were low for that paper and that the other papers would be easier to do.

Reaction score
OMGG THANK YOOU. I thought i was the only one who did the paper. It must have been the hardest paper yet. It was extremely difficult. And oh my god the table in the beginning ruined my whole time management. I'm really sure the threshold will be low. Like an A would be a 24 out of 40. And what was that bloody plot point for the graph.

Reaction score
OMGG THANK YOOU. I thought i was the only one who did the paper. It must have been the hardest paper yet. It was extremely difficult. And oh my god the table in the beginning ruined my whole time management. I'm really sure the threshold will be low. Like an A would be a 24 out of 40. And what was that bloody plot point for the graph.
I got the axes wrong btw but for 70 degrees it shouldve been something > 4.6 (sorry i made a mistake in the previous post) i think , I took 5 for example. Yes i do agree thresholds will be much lower this year. but i still think an a would be something like 25/40 that 1 mark makes a huge difference... any more questions you have?

Reaction score
I got the axes wrong btw but for 70 degrees it shouldve been something > 4.6 (sorry i made a mistake in the previous post) i think , I took 5 for example. Yes i do agree thresholds will be much lower this year. but i still think an a would be something like 25/40 that 1 mark makes a huge difference... any more questions you have?

Wait how was it >4.6? it was supposed to be lower than 4.6 and another thing the axes was temperature on the x-axis since it's the independent variable and i think the reaction rate on the Y-axis since it's the dependent variable. If it was >4.6 can you please explain how you calculated it. Thank You

Reaction score
Wait how was it >4.6? it was supposed to be lower than 4.6 and another thing the axes was temperature on the x-axis since it's the independent variable and i think the reaction rate on the Y-axis since it's the dependent variable. If it was >4.6 can you please explain how you calculated it. Thank You
I looked at the previous values and noticed that as the temperature was increasing, so was the rate of the reaction. There was no sequence to the change what so ever it just kept increasing from 0.6,0.8 i think, 2.4,4.6 and so in kept increasing. I didnt have much time to think about it but I even thought that the value could have been "0" (ZERO) since the enzyme could have denatured itself and never reacted in the first place. Just a theory you should probably ask a teacher about that.

I was wondering about the last question about the experiment of transpiration. Could you explain what you have written because I just mentioned that keeping the leafy shoot in humid, cold and hot temperature environment on note down the movement and time taken. I also wrote the variables to keep constant. Would that give me 6 marks?

Reaction score
T

X AXIS IS TEMPERATURE OMFG DUDE I LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH! I MIGHT GET A B OR A JUST BECAUSE OF THAT!

Reaction score
I looked at the previous values and noticed that as the temperature was increasing, so was the rate of the reaction. There was no sequence to the change what so ever it just kept increasing from 0.6,0.8 i think, 2.4,4.6 and so in kept increasing. I didnt have much time to think about it but I even thought that the value could have been "0" (ZERO) since the enzyme could have denatured itself and never reacted in the first place. Just a theory you should probably ask a teacher about that.

I was wondering about the last question about the experiment of transpiration. Could you explain what you have written because I just mentioned that keeping the leafy shoot in humid, cold and hot temperature environment on note down the movement and time taken. I also wrote the variables to keep constant. Would that give me 6 marks?

But dude the graph and points, there were some values in the middle column in which they range from i think 1550 to 62 or 65 but then the last value was 80 something so if the values in the middle column kept decreasing the rate of reaction increased. However the last value was 82 which was higher that 65 therefore the reaction decreased instead of increasing. And about the Last question I've written that they should measure the initial length of water in the capillary tube by using the ruler before investigating then i wrote they should increase the temperature to a constant level for about 10 min. Then after i wrote that, i wrote measure the final volume of water in the capillary tube and repeat experiment for more accurate and reliable results. And finally calculate mean and average. And also i added some bs between them like keeping the length of water constant with humidity as well. I think i'll get like 4 marks in the last question.

Reaction score
But dude the graph and points, there were some values in the middle column in which they range from i think 1550 to 62 or 65 but then the last value was 80 something so if the values in the middle column kept decreasing the rate of reaction increased. However the last value was 82 which was higher that 65 therefore the reaction decreased instead of increasing. And about the Last question I've written that they should measure the initial length of water in the capillary tube by using the ruler before investigating then i wrote they should increase the temperature to a constant level for about 10 min. Then after i wrote that, i wrote measure the final volume of water in the capillary tube and repeat experiment for more accurate and reliable results. And finally calculate mean and average. And also i added some bs between them like keeping the length of water constant with humidity as well. I think i'll get like 4 marks in the last question.
hmm i see where you're going with the 1550 part. Maybe im wrong too.

Reaction score
A
Anyways don't worry too much about this paper as its only worth 20% of your final grade. We got the paper 22 and 42 coming up in just 2 days! and btw u resitting any other sciences cus im doing all 3

Reaction score
A

Anyways don't worry too much about this paper as its only worth 20% of your final grade. We got the paper 22 and 42 coming up in just 2 days! and btw u resitting any other sciences cus im doing all 3

Yeah i'm also doing Chemistry and the practical is tomorrow :/

Reaction score
A

Do you have any tips or resources for Chemistry Practical it would be much appreciated if you could send me something.