• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

I'm an IGCSE Maths Teacher - Post your questions here.

Reaction score
hello Sir ,can you please answer s11 v42 q8 part c ? thanks alot !!:)
what is your confusion
shear as the moves side ways and the area remains same
Invariant line is x as it moves along x (x length is fixed)
and shear factor is 2 as Shear factor the distance a point moves due to shear divided by the perpendicular distance of a point from the invariant line.
shear factor=2/1 :D

Reaction score
they said that 1/3(pi)(x^2)[y] is equal to W (by substituting x and y in the formula of cone)
so a similar cone with 3x radius means that radius is x*3 equal 3x and height y*3 equal 3y.. now substitute 3x as radius and 3y as height in the formula of cone so 1/3(pi)(3x)^2(3y) which is equal to 1/3(pi)(9x^2)(3y).. but 1/3(pi)(x^2)[y] is equal to W so we take it common from this expression leaving
W(9)(3) which is 27W..
cii is similar instead just substitute 2x in radius and y in height in the formula

Reaction score
they said that 1/3(pi)(x^2)(y) is equal to W (by substituting x and y in the formula of cone)
so a similar cone with 3x radius means that radius is x*3 equal 3x and height y*3 equal 3y.. now substitute 3x as radius and 3y as height in the formula of cone so 1/3(pi)(3x)^2(3y) which is equal to 1/3(pi)(9x^2)(3y).. but 1/3(pi)(x^2)(y) is equal to W so we take it common from this expression leaving
W(9)(3) which is 27W..
cii is similar instead just substitute 2x in radius and y in height in the formula
thank you so much

Reaction score
well its a graph question 2 problems i need to draw and i can't explain without the graph the only thing i can tell you is that from the curve select a point, and if you draw a tangent at this point the gradient (rise/run) must be 3
bt how do i know at what point will the gradient be 3 should i like take all the points that will waste my time

Reaction score
there is a differenciation key d()/dx use this key and place the equation of line between brackets and use random values of x until u get 3 or very close to 3 then draw a tangent there and use those coordinates well this function is NOT in our syllabus and used in add math and A levels.. so might be a bit confusing for you but thats how i work this type of questions i just hope this model of the calculator is allowed for the exam

Reaction score
there is a differenciation key d()/dx use this key and place the equation of line between brackets and use random values of x until u get 3 or very close to 3 then draw a tangent there and use those coordinates well this function is NOT in our syllabus and used in add math and A levels.. so might be a bit confusing for you but thats how i work this type of questions i just hope this model of the calculator is allowed for the exam
can i do it in the calculator where what button i did not actually get you and i took this question from IGCSE