• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

in serious problem help required

Reaction score
guys iam really worried about my practicals iam a private candidate and have no sort of practical coaching the teacher from who iam currently taking paper-1,2 theory paper tution has told me that he'll explain and solve the papers from 2007-2010 without apparatus and then hell make me do practical of 2011 using apparatus as no apparatus is currently avaliable with him so hell ask someone for one day for which we'll be doing 2011 for both chem and physics so would this be enough or practical are very difficult? iam reallllly scared please help out guys iam working for A* please tell me what to do and stuff pleaseeee reply as soon as possible.

Reaction score
one practical is not enough. u shud be able to handle and use the apparatus correctly. atleast 8 to 10 practicals shud be done with the apparatus

Reaction score
Lol you don't really need to do so many practicals to pull an A* off. The practicals are very easy just try to understand them. In your situation, what you can do is ask some school to let you in the practical classes but I don't think they will so just buy some practical apparatus at home, its not very expensive. All you need to know for chemistry is how to handle the apparatus, and if you learn that and you've studied all other papers then it should be really easy. The paper tells you what to do step by step. I'm not kidding, its like reading something on the paper and do it word by word and then use your knowledge of chemistry to deduce answers. Also after you've learned to handle apparatus then just take the recent papers and solve them with the help of the marking scheme(just see what observations would you get form the experiments from the marking scheme and then do the rest of the paper your self. Here are some tips for chemistry practicals. http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/tips-for-chemistry-practicals-p3.11810/
For Physics, I think its a little harder to do without apparatus, but the good thing is you can get most of those things easily. For every paper you want to practice, read its marking scheme and get the things you need, you'll need to do this mostly with experiments involving electronics. As for other experiments, 1 type is regarding oscillation and it usually contains some kind of ball oscillating like a pendulum and you have to record reading like the length of the string, mass of the ball and stuff. You just need to do this type of practical just once with apparatus to understand how to take reading and measure the length and stuff. Once you're learned how to handle the apparatus then you can just study some recent papers and understand different kinds of situations they can give you. The same goes for electrical experiments, just learn to use the meters, clamps, crocodile clips and different things that they usually give in experiments and you're done with it. There are other type of practicals too except these two but these are the common ones. You can practice the others too but they won't usually include hard to use apparatus and stuff, everything is given in the question, how to do and what to do you just have to follow it. I don't know if I'll make a list of tips for physics or not but remember one thing always use sharp pencil for graphs and ALWAYS draw a big triangle to find the gradient of the graph. You will learn most of the graphing techniques in P5.

In my opinion, practicals are the easiest parts of chemistry and physics A-Levels, you can easily score 90% above in these. Just learn to use the common apparatus and study some recent papers with marking schemes and you're done.
Best of luck from my side, hope you get your A*'s. I'm giving my A-Levels in this May/June, pray for me too. =)