• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Independent Events

Reaction score
Salam. I wanted to ask, is there any other way or equation to show independence? Like, there's one where p(a and b) = p(a) x p(b). But is there any other one. And for dependent events as well. Is there any other equation?

Reaction score
Wasalam! =)
Another equation is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B).

Reaction score
Thanks abcde. But i knew that one too. I was thinking more along the lines of something that would allow me to prove independence or dependence. Can you help with that?

Reaction score
These are the major ones tested in your O'level Maths syllabus. When do you have to prove independence/dependence?

Reaction score
As in, for example, i got two events, A and B, and their probabilities. And i got P( A or B). Now they say, is this mutually exclusive or not? I know how to do that, as P(a) + p(b) should equal 1. But how will i know, if the events are independent, or dependent?

Reaction score
The formula P(A and B)= P(A) x P(B) is normally used for independent events because when events are mutually exclusive (cannot occur at the same time), P(A and B) = 0. So the 'AND' rule is only applicable for independent events.

Reaction score
Yes abcde is right!
Independent events are like this
P(A intersection B) = P(A) x P(B)