• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Inquiry about Further Mathematics

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I recently completed my O Levels. Now Started AS-Level. I took 4 subjects. Mathematics (P1 and M1), Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Now the subject Further Mathematics seems quite popular. What is the difference between this and regular mathematics? Do I needed Further Mathematics to apply in international universities for Engineering? How hard is Further Mathematics? Should I take it?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I recently completed my O Levels. Now Started AS-Level. I took 4 subjects. Mathematics (P1 and M1), Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Now the subject Further Mathematics seems quite popular. What is the difference between this and regular mathematics? Do I needed Further Mathematics to apply in international universities for Engineering? How hard is Further Mathematics? Should I take it?
Firstly, Further Mathematics is not a popular subject. In fact, very few students take it. Further Mathematics builds on the knowledge you have gained in your Mathematics course and is basically an extension of the Mathematics syllabus. It covers topics which you will probably study during your undergraduate course at university, so it's really rigorous. Further Mathematics is considered as the hardest A level subject. So you should only take it if you are genuinely good and have a deep passion for mathematics. Don't take it unless you're absolutely confident about your mathematics aptitude and remember if you haven't taken Additional Maths at O levels then Further Mathematics will be literally impossible for you to handle, so you should take that into consideration as well.
Except Imperial and Cambridge, no other universities require Further Mathematics. However you will be at an advantage if you have the subject while other applicants don't.