• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is it better to get an unsatisfactory grade in a subject or simply be absent?

Reaction score
what exactly is your position at the moment in the subjects ?

Subject in question is maths. 7 days to go, and 8 out of 9 topics in P1 and 2 our of 4 in M1 need serious revision.

I can and have before pulled miracles at the last second, but this time could be far better spent on other subjects. And I can't guarantee any sort of good grade(though it might still be possible).

What I'm asking is, is it better to try and risk failing(or getting a grade that I need to reappear for to fix) or better to not appear and receive an X?

Reaction score
Re-giving it next session in both cases.

AS level student here.
Assalamu alaikum,
hi there, ok an ex-U grader here in Chemistry AS...
Do you know what U grade stands for?? It's ungraded, and that means you get no grade in a U- grade. When you reapper for the paper, there're no records of your past sessions in the CIE documents. When you pass on the resit, the record of the U- grade , in other words, gets removed and the new grade is recorded. What's more, U - graders don't even get the component result of their U - grade. So what I'm trying to tell you is - there's nothing to lose in appearing for the exam once you've registered to do so!
In these situations, remember this saying of my brother: Something is better than nothing :)
And if you're worrying about your reputation with people, then think about it, X grade sounds worse than U grade. God forbid, X grade is for those people who couldn't appear for the exams due to their health problems or something else. Those people, I'm not going to say anything about, regarding the X grades . Other than that, X grade sounds worse in the sense that the student just ran away from the exam. Other than that, a U grader still beats a X grader, he might have scored 1 mark or maybe more, which the X grader didn't.
Don't waste oppurtunity of giving your exams, don't waste your money, don't you know how hard your parents/ guardians work to get money. Don't let them down, or at least, don't purposely disappoint them!
And you just don't know what's the difficulty level of the exam that's going to come! You never know the future! Anything can happen! You can get passed too. Go in the examination hall with a good expectation :)

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind advice. It's going to be hard, but, I'm going to try my best for the result I want and inshallah, I'll succeed.

Giving the exam anyway was always my preferred option. The reason I was doubtful about this is from the viewpoint of my university application.

Reaction score
Biology, yes. Physics, almost. Chemistry... no, needs some work(A day or two maximum then past papers)

Need more past paper practice though.

Then brother try giving the paper :D :) INSHAALLAH you will succeed !!! as you have told that rest subjects are fine.... work abit harder on maths in these days and and study abit more time maths than others..... then obviously you will feel the difference .

Best of luck dude

Reaction score
Are there any notes for P1 maths that anybody can give me? I could really use help to get a good understanding of the topics and questions on them in time for the exam.

Reaction score
Don't worry man! I also have p-1 and m-1 this session! Try solving some past papers P-1 is basically Add.Math- Igcse! Focus more on P-1; u myt as well end up with an A ! Whu knws! Its not that hard bro! I would recommend trying at least! InshaALLAH we all will end up with good grades :)

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind advice. It's going to be hard, but, I'm going to try my best for the result I want and inshallah, I'll succeed.

Giving the exam anyway was always my preferred option. The reason I was doubtful about this is from the viewpoint of my university application.

Wow! That's good. Best of luck for your exams and don't take this exam just as a try. Take it as a last chance you have got and there are sill hundreds of thousands seconds left for the exams. Utilize this time by the best way you can. Keep it calm, read the Questions properly, have faith on yourself and leave the rest to good and you will surely succeed.