• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

is percentile still exist for o-level

Reaction score
Similar. The standard required to achieve an A is the same. Only the value of A has fallen. Thats it. Nothing else changed apart from the fact that CIE Certificates except of the statement of results will not contain the percentages and that universities now demand A*AA as a standard entry requirement.

Reaction score
so it will be easier to achieve A or not?
and i still didnot get ans about the existance of percentile .... we are told that for pakistani student A is on 85 and tere will no percentile rule apply from june 2010

Reaction score
No for all students A is at 80. A* is at 90. The minimum required for A* will be set as 90% and divided on a uniform mark scale. And no, it has not become easy or difficult, it is the same. And yes they do. Actually there was a British Council notification a long time back that percentiles won't be there now. That was targeted at the certificates. And yes they exist.

All this info was not directly told by CIE uptil now because CIE was not disclosing it. Back in October 2009 a teacher of a friend of mine in England asked the CIE officially under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. So, this information which CIE has released now was confirmed since October 2009. Don't worry there's no change in the level of difficulty to achieve an A but you'll have to work harder to achieve an A*.

Reaction score
but if A is on 80 so it should be easier than before (when it was at 90)

Reaction score
No, it works like this. If you needed 135/160 marks in Biology in June 2009 to get an A. Then this was mapped onto a percentage of 90% and you needed 120/160 marks for a B they were mapped on a percentage of 80% . Lets assume the same scores are required to achieve these grades in june 2010 (as they will not be determined till July). For A* the minimum will be set at 135-120= 15 + 135 = 150/160 and will be mapped on a percentage uniform mark of 90. Subsequently A will be mapped on 80% and B on 70% .

CIE declared in April 2009 that there will be 'no change' in the standards. And the coming of the A* was announced by CIE'S regional manager Mr. Bickerdike in 2008 ! Taking A has not become easy. Its still the same. Only the value given to A has fallen.

Don't worry about these things. Just focus on your preparation, do your best, and don't worry about any rumors. They just want a clear understanding from the student, combined with a sense of thinking beyond what is merely in the books. And they are most happy when they give an A to a student.

Reaction score
please tell me zohaib if i get 25 deducted in physics full paper that is 120/145 can i get an A