• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is there any advantage in taking English General Paper for AS?

Reaction score
I personally think that General Paper is a very good subject. A student who studies GP seriously (or properly) will have good vocabulary and writing skills. Both of these skills will be very very useful in the Undergraduate program.

Good knowledge of English with wide range of vocabulary will make the reading task a lot easier. This is important because you'll have to read many thick books at bachelor level.

Again, bachelor level consists of many assignments, researches and so on. So, writing skill is vital. The writing style learnt in GP is very encompassing and is applicable to various types of writing works. Therefore, GP is excellent to prepare you well for Undergraduate level.

However, whether it is easy or difficult depends from person to person. I personally think it is easy because if you read other subjects well (like physics, mathematics, economics, arts, etc) you are likely to do well in GP as well. I mean, this subject is multidisciplinary and it's syllabus includes all the matters of general concern. But there are many people who find it extraordinarily difficult (I think the problem lies in understanding the question) and do bad in the exams. I've witnessed good students performing poor in this subject!! This happens if a student writes an off-topic answer. The answer has materials on (or around) the topic but the essay doesn't answer the question!

So, it's up to you to decide whether it is difficult subject or not. In overall, I highly recommend this subject for any students, not just you. I think it is a must for International students for whom English is a second language.

Hope you'll be helped! :)

Reaction score
I personally think that General Paper is a very good subject. A student who studies GP seriously (or properly) will have good vocabulary and writing skills. Both of these skills will be very very useful in the Undergraduate program.

Good knowledge of English with wide range of vocabulary will make the reading task a lot easier. This is important because you'll have to read many thick books at bachelor level.

Again, bachelor level consists of many assignments, researches and so on. So, writing skill is vital. The writing style learnt in GP is very encompassing and is applicable to various types of writing works. Therefore, GP is excellent to prepare you well for Undergraduate level.

However, whether it is easy or difficult depends from person to person. I personally think it is easy because if you read other subjects well (like physics, mathematics, economics, arts, etc) you are likely to do well in GP as well. I mean, this subject is multidisciplinary and it's syllabus includes all the matters of general concern. But there are many people who find it extraordinarily difficult (I think the problem lies in understanding the question) and do bad in the exams. I've witnessed good students performing poor in this subject!! This happens if a student writes an off-topic answer. The answer has materials on (or around) the topic but the essay doesn't answer the question!

So, it's up to you to decide whether it is difficult subject or not. In overall, I highly recommend this subject for any students, not just you. I think it is a must for International students for whom English is a second language.

Hope you'll be helped! :)
That means I just need to get my vocab right, and answer around the topic. I personally think that it ain't that difficult, so I am going for it. Thanks alot for the advice!

Reaction score
AS level English is a credit worthy AS level equal to any other credit worthy AS level. It also one of the harshest AS level. GP is similar in terms of the ability to get an A. As a 4th subject, in the long run GP will be the reason you will find yourself scoring at university. Word !

Reaction score
we are talking about credit that counts when you CONTINUE English in univ -.-

Reaction score
we are talking about credit that counts when you CONTINUE English in univ -.-
Whatever it is, G.P is useless, although it enhance skills for researching but I think you should opt for English Language instead of G.P.

Reaction score
Most universities don't care about GP. However it's really good for improving your general knowledge. It'll prove to be useful later down the road (if you're giving the SAT, wanting to participate in MUNs, seeking knowledge in general, etc). You can choose to not give the CIE examination but give it as a school subject, I think. I recommend doing that if you're worried about not getting a good GP result - that seems to be the case because people have apparently been getting garbage GP results in the past 2 years or so.

Reaction score
University credits are 'exemptions' that you get for doing a certain number of courses. At most universities of the world you will get credits for 3 main subjects to continue your studies beyond A level. That is not at all equal to GP not having value in the admission process. It does but as I mentioned as a '4th or elective' subject.

Reaction score
That means I just need to get my vocab right, and answer around the topic. I personally think that it ain't that difficult, so I am going for it. Thanks alot for the advice!
Not around the topic, your every paragraph should be directly answering the question. You should be to the point in GP.

And although some universities don't give credit to GP, I think this subject is very useful. As someone said, if you are going for a degree which don't give credit to general paper, then you can just study it without bothering to take the exams.

Learning to write proficiently is the most rewarding advantage of studying GP. If you can do so by studying other subjects in English (such as the English Literature), that would be fine. Also if you can learn to write by yourself, you may ignore GP and work for yourself. However, the matter of fact is that only a few people learn without taking the formal classes and having to worry about exams. Writing is a difficult and chaotic process, as they call it and it requires a lot of practice and hard work. It is most rewarding if you learn it, but a difficult thing to learn.

Once you become good at writing, you'll be confident with any kinds of writing works you do. During college application, you have to write a lot of letters, personal essays, etc. Your writing skills will reward you in scoring better marks in SAT. And it will make the study of undergraduate level a lot easier, especially if your primary language at university is English. So, your writing skills will be rewarding throughout your student life and even beyond, while writing job application, and doing other things. My point is, GP has its own importance whether the university you'll study give credit to it or not!