• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Iterative method (Maths)

Reaction score
AoA Guys!
can anyone help me on how to solve equations using iterative methods? i cant get the hang of it? :S
thanks alot in advance! :)

Reaction score
Hi. Don't be freaked out when you see the question as a very complex problem. In fact, the problem is quite easy. If you already know the iterative formulae and the initial value, just put that value into the formula and calculate the result using your calculator. Then you put that result back into the calculator and keeps on pressing the ans key on you calculator. Soon after you will find the answer. As long as the first four decimal places are same then you can conclude that is the answer.

Reaction score
thanks buddy... but the problem arises when sometimes it says to show tht a formula converges on given formula and stuff like tht... as in question 6 of may/june 2007 p3... :3

Reaction score
thanks buddy... but the problem arises when sometimes it says to show tht a formula converges on given formula and stuff like tht... as in question 6 of may/june 2007 p3... :3
dude converges means that you should use the question to get that formula
first ignore the n and n+1
x=1/3(x+4sinx) (expand by opening brackets)
x-1/3X=4/3sinx
2/3X=4/3sinx
2/3 X/ 4/3X =sinx
1/2X=sinx
therefore,
x=2 sin x

remember converge means to convert the question into the formula given before the question
hope what i said makes sense....