• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

JUST WANTED TO CONFIRM....

Reaction score
Hey, there!
I was wondering, that is there any difference between GCE O'levels and IGCSE?
I read that It was O'levels at first but England, wales and ireland changed it to ''IGCSE''.
So Is there any difference between both of them? Like Do they have different syllabus Or something?
Just wanted to confirm.....
Since I'm doing O'levels I should know that much :p xD.
PS Can I read IGCSE notes and give my exams? (Not CIE but school exams xD)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey, there!
I read that It was O'levels at first but England, whales and ireland changed it to ''IGCSE''.
So Is there any difference between both of them? Like Do they have different syllabus Or something?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Ordinary_Level

Reaction score
I read it, just now!! And I still don't get it . (.-.)
O level (Ordinary Level) were introduced as part of British education reforms, that was in 1950 with the A-Level (advanced Level). However they were replaced with GCSE and IGCSE in 1988. Looking at the IGCSE maths for instance, you learn harder problems than if you were taking GCSE. Here in the UK we learn the specification i.e. the things needed to ace the exams and nothing more.

Reaction score
O level (Ordinary Level) were introduced as part of British education reforms, that was in 1950 with the A-Level (advanced Level). However they were replaced with GCSE and IGCSE in 1988. Looking at the IGCSE maths for instance, you learn harder problems than if you were taking GCSE. Here in the UK we learn the specification i.e. the things needed to ace the exams and nothing more.
What about GCE?

Reaction score
What about GCE?
Well that's the name of the certificate you get after completing your A level. i.e. completing secondary exams gets you your general certificate of secondary education GCSE and completing your a levels get you general certificate of education GCE

Reaction score
Hey, there!
I read that It was O'levels at first but England, whales and ireland changed it to ''IGCSE''.
whales?

Reaction score
Well that's the name of the certificate you get after completing your A level. i.e. completing secondary exams gets you your general certificate of secondary education GCSE and completing your a levels get you general certificate of education GCE
OO~~~ Okay, thanks!! :O