• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Justify and Explain in Business Studies

Reaction score
็Hi~ I'm having my exam tomorrow but still don't exactly know what these two command words want me to do.

It was In an 8-mark Justify question, which I don't remember the paper it came from. I answered my question starting with a Yes but I did consider two sides of the answer, but I didn't get ANY marks for that. I asked my teacher for the reason but he stuck his hand out and said "talk to my hand, if I were the examiner, you wouldn't be able to negotiate for any marks anyway so just accept it". Right, great.
:evil:
So after that, I learnt not to write Yes or No in a Justify question, but rather just the explanation. I am pretty sure that If I hadn't written the word Yes down, I would get SOME marks.
:fool:
And also for the Explain questions, it goes something like this "Does business activity always damage the environment?". The mark scheme says "Conclusions should be drawn showing evaluation of issues. Evaluative comments must show reasoned judgement." Does this mean that either way, whether Justifying or Explaining, I have to be on "one side" and can't just write the pros and cons of business activities in relation to the environment and not state clearly whether they "ALWAYS" damage or not?

Please help me with this issue because it's really getting on my nerves :%)
To simplify the question : How should I answer in Justify, and Explain questions? :D

Thank you !~ :beer:

Reaction score
Start by defining whatever it is they're asking you, e.g. motivation, social costs etc. After that, set out both both sides of the argument, the pros and the cons but decide which one you favor, support that more.

Eg. Business damages the environment (social costs)...?

Define Social Costs.
What are the advantages of the buss. being set up?
What are the disadvantages of the buss?
You need to make sure you lean more to one side.

If you think business damages, lean more to the disadvantages and provide more of those. If you think that advantages outweigh the disadvantages, you lean to that side.

Then, provide a conclusion in which you say: I agree/disagree...
Or, From this, we can see that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and I think etc.

Never start with a Yes or No.
Always make sure you provide a conclusion that supports your points/argument. Don't give 5 disadvantages and 2 advantages and in the end, say that businesses don't damage the environment.

Do you see...? Take it step by step.. And remain sensible :)