• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

LUMS admission queries

Reaction score
actually piratebay.sx is down right now ... http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/thepiratebay.sx.html ... which means it is being blocked globally by people trying to shutdown piratebay... so accessing torrents by the link above or via the tor browser is the only way... do not worry about people trying to shutdown piratebay... because piratebay will keep on running... however, what you can do is buy a a lot of hardrive space and download as many educational torrents as fast you can and keep seeding.. do not hit and run torrents... specially educational material torrents because there is always someone out there who cannot afford the expensive educational material

Reaction score
Hi guys! I did my FSC pre medical but now I wish to go to lums. I had 86.7% in my Matric, 76.4% in FSC. what are my chances of getting admission? Also, I want to know from where can I prepare for LCAT? How many questions will be there? Do I need to join any academy? Or self study at home? I haven't applied for Financial Aid either. what's the role of FA? A reply will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
you should forget about the university tests because every university has its own test ... how many are you going to prepare for?... give one SAT and you can apply to any university... with pak university tests the tests are not standardized enough and they tend to make changes without any notices before hand.. on occasion i have had students tell me that they prepared for something and got something else in the exam .. i do not know how much of that is true but i have seen the exams kind of ill designed... for the math i would say you check khanacademy.com videos... for SAT and GMAT math... there are tons of math Books for SAT and GMAT math try them out... it takes practice... a lot of it... start with kaplan, princeton, barrons, once done with those move on to kaplan, princeton and barrons GMAT math... then try NOVA GMAT math, then try Ivy GMAT math material .. download these material from piratebay.com, 4shared.com, scribd.com ... if you are horrible at math then i think feb 2014 will be a bit too early... get an internship or a job and apply in the fall season... of 2014 .. no shame in using a year for prep and doing you internship or job at the same time... and NOT a call agent job.... in fact an internship is required for completing your BBA

btw LUMS is not worth it... not by a long shot... it is ranked 220 or below in Asia, it is unranked in the world.. and the only ranking agency that has ranked LUMS is Qs Rankings other rankings such as Times Higher Educaiton ranking, ARWU, Forbes, Business Week, etc do even consider Pakistani universities at a global scale .. trust me when i tell you Pakistani universities teach you nothing... because most of the professors have studied from universities that have been ranked in the 150 to 200 in the world... just a few and i mean a very few have graduated or gotten their Phds from the top universities in the world... LUMS might let you get a job in Pakistan due to its brand value but technically you will have almost no extra knowledge nor skills ... any student from a top 50 undergrad business school will be wiping the floor with you.. but if you want a regular job and do not care about how much skills you actually learn then LUMS is fine ... let me give a single example.. for macro economics at MIT the book that they use at the undergrad level is David Romer's Advanced Macro Economics.... http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/economics/14-06-intermediate-macroeconomic-theory-spring-2003/readings/ .. this text is considered for Phd students in pakistan.. getting the Picture?... and you can check the University of London's LSE programs in finance and economics http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/sites/default/files/prospectus/emfss-prospectus.pdf and compare it to the ones at LUMS then again you will also get a very nice picture about how far behind Pakistani universities are

here is a list of stuff you study at a top school
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/
Are you even remotely serious? Lums is not worth it? There is a reason it is the top ranked institute in the country. We should appear for Sat? What for? Which Pakistani university, apart from Nust( which only accepts a handful of the top scorers) offers admissions on Sat basis? Not everyone has can afford to go to the US or Canada or the UK. QS is the best ranking site there is. According to your logic, Nust must also not be worth because its not in the top 100. Students who have done bachelors from Pakistan have found the courses in the UK a lot more easier. Pakistani universities give a lot more tough time. As for admission tests, only the best get to go to Lums. Students who go to academies, and expect similar papers to the ones they practice do fail miserably. The admission test is about students who have been brilliant throughout the past few years. Not for those who just pay up tuitions and practice in the last month. I honestly think you should not misguide everyone here.

Reaction score
@RWTH

Are you even remotely serious?
yes

Lums is not worth it?
Depends upon what you are looking for... Competing globally? NO - that is why we cannot compete globally because there is not enough highly skilled labour, Getting a job in a country like Pakistan? Yes the brand name of LUMS makes it easier, Developing valuable skill sets? NO

We should appear for Sat? What for? Which Pakistani university, apart from Nust( which only accepts a handful of the top scorers) offers admissions on Sat basis?
The reason for suggesting SAT is that one test applies to all universities, granted Pakistani universities require very high scores (compared to the value they offer) and have quotas (maybe) but spending time preparing for one test is easier compared to studying for several tests, also the tests that pakistani universities develop are not standardized there are unannounced surprises regarding what is tested, SAT being more reliable in that regard. All universities do accept SAT as an alternative to their own tests just check their websites, some unis accept the GAT these days i think

QS is the best ranking site there is
Not really, it is comprehensive in its coverage, yes but its manner of ranking? not necessarily

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/05/29/methodology-qs-rankings-comes-under-scrutiny
http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=30182
http://rev.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/1/71.full

and even if you believe QS to be the best .. though there is no ranking that can be the best...even QS has ranked LUMS 220 in Asia not in the World... i suggest you check the criteria of each ranking agency in detail and then make up your mind ... ARWU, Businessweek, Times Higher Education, Forbes, US News, are the major rankings out there maybe i have missed a few
According to your logic, Nust must also not be worth because its not in the top 100
yes.... i have said it several times on this site .. Pakistani universities are generally not worth it especially if you are ambitious ... the problem with all degrees at any university is that they are academic in nature, if only universities strive to be more practical in terms of teaching (via vocational training or simulations) then a lot of time and money that students spend will be utilized more appropriately

Students who have done bachelors from Pakistan have found the courses in the UK a lot more easier
Yes easy courses can be found in any university in the world, there are many universities all over the world teaching easy courses in order to earn money since teachers can teach easily and students who do not work hard enough love to enroll for such courses ... however, that does not mean that the educational standard in Pakistan is even comparable to that found in other countries ... if you do not believe me then just check the curriculum of a good foreign university and compare it to a top university in Pakistan .. you will understand

Pakistani universities give a lot more tough time
giving a student a tough time is not necessarily the same thing as teaching something that develops a high level of skill

As for admission tests, only the best get to go to Lums. Students who go to academies, and expect similar papers to the ones they practice do fail miserably.
yes only the best get to go to LUMS but they just do not get to develop upon their skill level to the extent that these students deserve by a mile, as for the similar papers that is a big NO ... guess papers should never work for the type of entry tests that are being implemented, otherwise why bother testing in the first place ... but the format and the material tested should be standardized ... in that respect i prefer the SAT

The admission test is about students who have been brilliant throughout the past few years.
not necessarily... the admission tests assess a very narrow aspect of a student's academic ability (which mind you is VERY VERY different from what is required in the real world, in this regard the Pakistani undergrad degrees are very far away from being applicable in the work place in terms of developing future workers) ... and for the admission tests all students prepare in a matter of months because the basic knowledge is supposed to be there with a student before hand
I honestly think you should not misguide everyone here
read my other posts, my advice is based upon what goes on the real world not the unrealistic version in the fantasy world of academia

Not everyone has can afford to go to the US or Canada or the UK
yes i am aware of that .. another person raised this question as well, below is my response to that person

".... for finance/accounting students... do the ACCA, then go for the CFA... more than enough and pretty tough
or ACCA directly after A-levels and then an MBA
Auditors shouldn't do ACCA .. ICAP has a restriction for work experience with ACCA students wanting to do Auditing.. better to do CA for auditing

for students of management, marketing, finance/accounting, economics but not Supply Chain Management .. do the University of London International Program (the LSE programs are the good ones, the rest are just a waste of money)... work hard and do the final year from a university in the UK... you must do the last year from the uk otherwise pointless to do the Uol Programme until and unless you clear the three years here and then go for a Masters Degree abroad... that way it can be cheaper in terms of value created....."

there are other universities in other countries that do offer cheaper high quality alternatives.. i think in Singapore, Malaysia, Germany, France... but i guess those who are really cash strapped can try for the Full Bright Scholarships or at worst study in Pakistan .. the BBA in the long run is an insignificant part of a career because your career depends upon not only how hard you work, but also how well you portray your hard work, how well you network and use your contacts while being of use to them, also the job market's state and the career you have chosen... remember being street smart always helps the books will misguide you

Last edited:
Reaction score
@teachyourself I would respect your views but most of it does not make a lot of sense staying in Pakistan.
Developing a valuable skill set? Wasn't the point of getting a degree from a good university, to get a highly paid job anywhere? Yes that is the point. Theoretically you are right, practically ; no. I do assume universities in Pakistan do offer some practical knowledge. They get you a decent job. Whats the point of getting better skills if they are of no more of use in the future?
With your views, you seem to say every Pakistani university is not even worth looking at. So should the thousands who apply every year go abroad? Then you mention the simple solution of ACCA? No sir. Students here prefer Engineering and Med more. I myself am interested in B.S Economics. Full Bright Scholarship? Yes that would work if they offered that to hundreds. Singapore does not have cheap universities. The ones that are cheap, don't have the reputation. Have you seen the rate of Visa rejections for Germany and France anytime soon? So there goes the study abroad option.
As for tests being standardized, I dont think there should be an issue. If the deserving students are getting their place, why make the test different? This is what I like about Pakistani universities. You earn your place in the good ones through merit. Not unlike the UK and Canada, that so simply offer Foundation courses, and students buy their place there.
I have hardly seen a Grad from Lums jobless, or not pursuing higher degrees.
So please, if you wish to guide the 1% of students here that plan to go abroad, be my guest. But for the rest, Lums, Nust, Giki are dream universities. Do not put misguiding theories out there. I already cleared out your going abroad option for most of us. So please, instead of focusing on the non-important part of Pakistani unis, guide people about how to get into them. Thankyou.

Reaction score
@RWTH

I would respect your views but most of it does not make a lot of sense staying in Pakistan.
it does make sense to become highly qualified and then come back to Pakistan to help improve the standards of work being done in Pakistan, take the lead and people will resist you but over time they will realize what you as a highly skilled individual are trying to do and that is raising the bar for others around you... mind you though such Change Management takes a long time and a lot of effort to implement

Developing a valuable skill set?
Yes

Wasn't the point of getting a degree from a good university, to get a highly paid job anywhere?
No., that is just one aspect of education's purpose, developing skilled entrepreneurs, skilled workers, conducting research that actually contributes something, improving the level of competitiveness of our businesses on a global scale are also other important aspects of education... it is primarily because of their discipline, hard work, professionalism and high level of skill that China and India are so strong.... and the "good university = highly paid job" is the very hopeless mentality that is destroying our youth
if you look at the level of the skill that Pakistani students have and the skill level that foreign students have, you will realize why I am saying pakistani universities are not worth it because a lowly skilled workforce leads to a country that cannot compete with other countries, the point of education is NOT only to get a job it is to help talented hardworking individuals go beyond the limits that a country imposes upon its talented individuals... higher quality education leads to highly skilled entrepreneurs, highly skilled workers who can support entrepreneurs and also help raise the standards of a country's performance (though this takes a long time but currently Pakistani universities are pointless for ambitious students) ... also you are just not aware of the pathetic standard of education in Pakistan and the current state of the VERY VERY low skilled workforce which includes most of our professors who teach at our universities .. till that improves i just cannot state that Pakistani universities are worth it.. maybe at this point you will not understand it... but when/if you do experience the educational systems in foreign countries and Pakistan you will realize what I am talking about

I do assume universities in Pakistan do offer some practical knowledge
No they do not, they do not even go into enough depth in terms of academic knowledge let alone the practical application of that knowledge, the day they start simulating the work place work is the day their lack of depth in terms of academic knowledge will be excused till that time they are worthless.... as for you being an economics student .... look at the Uol International Program LSE curriculum for economics, look at the examinations and you will understand what i mean... if you want an extreme comparison check out the MIT economics program that I gave in the link in my previous post in this thread... imagine studying David Romer at the undergraduate level in your BSc Economics .... by the way if you are really interested in economics try piratebay.com, 4shared.com there are a lot of books on economics available there as well as their solution manuals

Whats the point of getting better skills if they are of no more of use in the future?
To challenge the boundaries and push those who resist change and improvement because it involves hard work, to raise the bar and help others build up on it so that they take steps to improve the way work is done .. and boy do Pakistani organizations need it, because our level of skill and professionalism is so low it is laughable .. no wonder Pakistan cannot really compete as much as it needs to

With your views, you seem to say every Pakistani university is not even worth looking at.
Yes, in terms of becoming skilled valuable workers or entrepreneurs, because the number of people with no skill or talent, who present themselves as something out of this world is astonishing

So should the thousands who apply every year go abroad?
Yes, it is called competing with other students just like we have to compete in every other aspect of our lives, but if it does not work out no problem, study here, however, going to a mid tier not so good foreign university is also a waste of money but definitely a good experience in terms of opening up your mind, education outside the 4 wall of a classroom and the books is VERY VERY important

Then you mention the simple solution of ACCA? No sir. Students here prefer Engineering and Med more
You misunderstand what I typed .... It was specifically for those students who have chosen finance as their career field .... it was not a recommendation for students to change their career direction... if you aspire to become an engineer and you have tried every other option but it doesn't work out then study in Pakistan ... however, the ACCA has the advantage of being done privately alongside a part-time job and it also has international recognition something which Pakistani universities do not in terms of employment outside of Pakistan

I myself am interested in B.S Economics
well considering that you are of the "good university = highly paid job" mind set ... in that case you have chosen the worst possible degree to earn a highly paid job.. economists need to have a Phd to have any sense of credibility for being able to compete for a highly paying job ... and economists in Pakistan? ... good luck ... word of the wise a B.S Economics or MSc Economics does not get you a highly paying job, an average job at best and the relevance of skill of an economics graduate depends upon the career he/she goes for .. ask people in the work force about the value of an Economics degree.. however, if you want to be a teacher then you are safe

Singapore does not have cheap universities. The ones that are cheap, don't have the reputation. Have you seen the rate of Visa rejections for Germany and France anytime soon? So there goes the study abroad option.
the idea is to try to be the best and if you come up short you can become the best in time... full bright or no full bright ... visa rejections will be there but there is no harm in trying

As for tests being standardized, I dont think there should be an issue. If the deserving students are getting their place, why make the test different? This is what I like about Pakistani universities. You earn your place in the good ones through merit. Not unlike the UK and Canada, that so simply offer Foundation courses, and students buy their place there.
the purpose of foundation courses is to give students who have not received the appropriate education to come up to the standard that is required... not everyone is the same and it does not mean that those students 'buy' their way into the university, they develop gradually and step by step... condemning someone because they never give up is such a negative way of looking at things

I have hardly seen a Grad from Lums jobless, or not pursuing higher degrees.
Yes LUMS graduates do pursue further education and so do students from other universities ... but that credit goes to those students NOT the Pakistani universities .. because these students would succeed without LUMS ... and yes LUMS students get jobs easily but not because they are highly skilled but because these students are hard workers ... LUMS or no LUMS these students would NOT be jobless for long.... but one point to note is that a BBA degree is NOT the only way to get a job

So please, if you wish to guide the 1% of students here that plan to go abroad, be my guest. But for the rest, Lums, Nust, Giki are dream universities. Do not put misguiding theories out there. I already cleared out your going abroad option for most of us. So please, instead of focusing on the non-important part of Pakistani unis, guide people about how to get into them. Thankyou.
I am not the ultimate sole authority but what I state is the truth about the Pakistani universities, I have in most of my posts mentioned Pakistani universities in terms of employment and the skills they teach, so my guidance is as comprehensive as it can possibly be... however, it is entirely possible that I at times do forget to mention certain aspects but individuals on this website usually ask their questions in details in private conversations and there I give them information in enough detail, that includes on how to get into universities .. however on such threads I give the generic advice that works in Pakistan, that is without wasting time and money .. i suggest you read my other posts to get a look of the whole picture.... for you, since you are interested in Economics I would recommend this thread:-

https://www.xtremepapers.com/commun...al-sciences-as-a-career-in-near-future.30523/

If the Pakistani universities are dream universities for you then that is your dream and all the best, but it does not change the fact that Pakistani universities in terms of actually learning skill sets that are of true value, are mostly useless

i am thoroughly enjoying this discussion with you, do not hesitate to refute anything i say

Last edited:
Reaction score
@RWTH

continuation of a point in my earlier message:-

Whats the point of getting better skills if they are of no more of use in the future?

To challenge the boundaries and push those who resist change and improvement because it involves hard work, to raise the bar and help others build up on it so that they take steps to improve the way work is done .. and boy do Pakistani organizations need it, because our level of skill and professionalism is so low it is laughable .. no wonder Pakistan cannot really compete as much as it needs to... infact it is because of this lack of skill (and by skill I mean not only technical knowledge but also the critical thinking that is several lacking in our educational system a simple example is not knowing why a mathematical formula is used, why was it developed, how can it be possibly modified, solving math problems like a machine and the idiotic learning by rote method is exactly what is destroying the inquisitive and intuitive learning capacity of our students ... in fact professors in Pakistan discourage questions because they believe students are try to show they know more .. and if these professors were really that good they would encourage students to challenge them but they dont) that people in our country readily believed in the water fueled car otherwise the first thing the media would have done is found out if it is possible to make a water fueled car and would not have let that nonsense be on national television in the first place

Reaction score
does anyone know how to write a personal statement for LUMS?
I am having a really hard time ,wondering what to writ.

Reaction score
does anyone know how to write a personal statement for LUMS?
I am having a really hard time ,wondering what to writ.

in a personal statement you write about yourself as a student and an aspiring future professional in your field ... that is the simplest way of looking at it .. however you should check personal statements guidelines and samples online ... depending upon the career path you want to end up in ... you should also contact LUMS students and ask them for their personal statements to get an idea .. if you want specific help then tell me your grades, career aims, extra curricular activities, write a personal statement (do not worry if it isn't good enough everything is a work in process) and if I have time i will check it meanwhile you can check these links

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6760126/50_Successful_Harvard_Application_Essays

General advice
http://www.collegexpress.com/articl...ms/blog/tips-scoring-high-school-internships/
http://www.businessinsider.com/stud...and-its-now-going-viral-on-wall-street-2013-1
http://www.reddit.com/r/Engineering..._starting_my_first_internship_in_a_few_weeks/

CV and Resume
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Curriculum_Vitae_vs_Résumé
http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/cv-vs-resume-difference-and-when-use-which/
http://www.upj.pitt.edu/11427.pdf -- samples in this links
http://mselveymsc.hubpages.com/hub/Resume-for-College-Internship

Cover Letters and Personal Statements
http://www.csun.edu/career/students/app_letter_statements.htm
http://condor.depaul.edu/writing/writers/Types_of_Writing/coverletters.html
http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/files/Engineering_CL.pdf
http://career.cooper.edu/students/eng/coverletter.php
http://www.seas.virginia.edu/admin/careerdev/files/coverletters.pdf
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/intern...hip-programme/requirements/personal-statement

Reaction score
someone please tell me that does lums send all our documents and results for verification or not ?

yes... every university does so... though it takes time to process every student's documents so within a few semesters universities generally verify your docs, depending upon their administration's efficiency ... some universities verify your documents before you are accepted

Reaction score
hii guys, can anyone tell me if my chances of getting into lums will heighten if i opt for a major in BA english since its newly introduced and rarely taken up as compared to other subjects. . .

Reaction score
hii guys, can anyone tell me if my chances of getting into lums will heighten if i opt for a major in BA english since its newly introduced and rarely taken up as compared to other subjects. . .
Yeah I have the same question. I opted anthropology and sociology it's new subject too. Can anyone tell me as well?

Reaction score
Yeah I have the same question. I opted anthropology and sociology it's new subject too. Can anyone tell me as well?
No. They select on Basis of the schools, not the degree. In this case, MGSHSS, which includes Economics, Politics, B.A English.... So nope. Your chances stay the same whether you apply for Economics, or English or Anthro.

Reaction score
No. They select on Basis of the schools, not the degree. In this case, MGSHSS, which includes Economics, Politics, B.A English.... So nope. Your chances stay the same whether you apply for Economics, or English or Anthro.
Oh! What about law school???

Reaction score
SomeStudent

try training institutes like Anees Hussain ... they do give the learning materials if you want to buy em from them... however, you can also ask students who have given the SSE test recently and have used Anees Hussain's material